“I am going to crush them and there is no speaker of parliament here to call me to order,” ANC President Jacob Zuma told thousands of Nelson Mandela Bay supporters on Saturday (23/07/16).
A jovial Zuma lashed out at the DA, saying their roots were from the National Party (NP), a party which he said represented apartheid and black oppression.
He likened the DA to the offspring of the NP with the same anger and attitude toward black people.
“Every time they open their mouths, the first thing they say is ANC. Just like the National Party used to do.
“I hear there’s this man going around this town saying he will be mayor, slithering like a snake, saying he will lead this metro.
“That’s how a snake gets access to your house,” Zuma said.
Zuma was speaking to thousands of Nelson Mandela Bay supporters, who braved the cold and wet weather at the Dan Qeqe Stadium.
Saturday’s Siyanqoba mini rally was the ANC’s last major gathering in the Bay ahead of what is likely to be the most hotly contested local government elections on August 3.
The party’s support has declined over the past two municipal and general elections. In 2014, the ANC received below 50% of votes in the Bay for the first time in two decades.
It hired 500 buses to transport residents from around the metro to show off its strength as it fights to keep control after the elections.
This was especially important after the national manifesto launch in April when the party battled to fill the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
At the time it blamed the thousands of empty seats on a transport mix up.
Zuma said the ANC’s support was improving here and not declining as was reported in the media.
He also bashed economists and the media for reporting that the economy was deteriorating, saying the country was fine.
He urged residents to vote for the ANC, saying that the party was the only one with a struggle history.
“It’s crystal clear that we are taking this metro. You saw the traditional leaders here praying. It means our ancestors are with us.
“It means that God and Jesus are with us. Then who can defeat us?
“Do not be confused by other people who know nothing about the struggle. We fought for this country because it’s the ANC and its alliance that brought us freedom. We cannot forget that and vote for other parties,” Zuma said.
He referred to DA leader Mmusi Maimane as a fake, saying he was just like the offspring of the NP claiming they will take the metro.
“I get shocked when I see our people wearing that T-shirt with that colour I’m not going to mention and I think to myself eish, hard times don’t end.”
Charming the crowd, Zuma said he loved the people of Nelson Mandela Bay, especially the women wearing the ANC branded doeks.
“Oh, how I love these ladies with the doeks,” Zuma said.
Bay mayoral candidate Danny Jordaan, who spoke before Zuma, said all struggle stalwarts had roots in the ANC and that the DA did not have a struggle hero or history.
“On August 3, we are going to turn the tide towards a decisive victory.
“If you are happy with what we did in a year, can you imagine what we can do in five years?” Jordaan said, as the crowd chanted “Danny Danny Danny”.
Celebrities AKA and Minnie Dlamini attended the event.
* For more on this story and a round up of other election campaigns this weekend, get The Herald on Monday
An East London doctor allegedly duped into signing a death certificate which aided a former ANC leader to fake his own death‚ has been found dead in his swimming pool.
According to police‚ Dr Pieter Bothma‚ 58‚ was believed to have drowned in his pool at his Bonnie Doon home on Thursday evening.
Cambridge police spokesman‚ Captain Mluleki Mbi said police suspect Bothma‚ who was fully clothed‚ might have had a heart attack near the pool and fallen into the water.
He said no foul play was suspected at this stage and an inquest case had been opened.
A few years back‚ Bothma was implicated in the fake death scam of former ANC branch chairman Zolani Xego‚ when he admitted to signing Xego’s death certificate without seeing a body after relatives claimed he had died from an aneurysm.
It later emerged that Xego and his ex-wife Vuyelwa Hlekiso faked his death to claim R3.5-million from two life insurance policies he took out a few years earlier.
Last year‚ the estranged couple were convicted on four counts of fraud each relating to the life insurance scam and another swindle of an insurance company which paid out after they claimed Hlekiso’s car had been stolen.
Xego was sentenced to 15 years in jail for fraud‚ which he is appealing. His ex-wife was sentenced to correctional supervision.
– TMG Digital/Daily Dispatch
The post Doctor allegedly duped into signing false death certificate found dead in pool appeared first on HeraldLIVE.
Thousands of people have gathered at the Dan Qeqe Stadium in Zwide for the ANC’s Siyanqoba rally despite heavy rain and cold weather.
President Jacob Zuma is expected to address the crowds in the party’s last election campaign rally in Nelson Mandela Bay ahead of the August 3 local government elections.
Among those already at the stadium are ANC national executive committee member Bheki Cele and other provincial ANC leaders.
The crowd is being entertained while they await Zuma’s arrival.
A man in his late 20s was killed on Friday night when the car in which he was a front-seat passenger crashed into a tree in Ficksburg in the Free State.
Two female passengers‚ believed to be 18 and 16‚ were flung out of the vehicle and sustained critical injuries.
They were taken to hospital‚ said ER24.
The driver vanished.
The post Passenger killed‚ two in hospital after car hits tree appeared first on HeraldLIVE.
The gunman who went on a deadly rampage at a busy Munich shopping centre before committing suicide was a German-Iranian teenager who probably acted alone, police said Saturday.
Nine people were killed and 16 wounded as the gunman brought terror to Germany’s third largest city on Friday evening, the third attack on civilians in Europe in eight days.
“Bloodbath in Munich,” was the headline on the best-selling Bild newspaper as shockwaves reverberated across the continent.
The killing sent the southern city into lockdown as elite police launched a massive operation to track down what had initially been thought to be up to three assailants.
Chancellor Angela Merkel will convene her security council on Saturday to address the shooting, which came just days after an axe rampage on a train in the same German state of Bavaria and just over a week after a truck attack in the French Riviera city of Nice that killed 84 people.
“The perpetrator was an 18-year-old German-Iranian from Munich,” police chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters, adding that he had no criminal record.
“The motive or explanation for this crime is completely unclear,” he said.
A police spokesman had said earlier that terrorism was suspected, without revealing any immediate indications of an Islamist link.
Armed with a handgun, the attacker opened fire at a McDonald’s restaurant and continued along the street before entering the mall.
Andrae said there were young people among the nine dead and that some of the 16 injured were children.
A police patrol had shot and wounded the gunman but he managed to escape, he said.
“We found a man who killed himself. We assume that he was the only shooter,” police said on Twitter.
A video posted on social media appeared to show a man in black walking away from a McDonald’s while firing repeatedly on people as they fled screaming.
Survivors described terrifying scenes as shoppers rushed from the area, some carrying children in their arms.
“We entered McDonald’s to eat… then there was panic, and people ran out,” one woman told Bavarian television.
Another video appeared to show the gunman on a car park roof exchanging a tirade of insults with a man on a nearby balcony.
“I’m German, I was born here,” the assailant replies after the man fired off a volley of swear words, including an offensive term for foreigners.
Police initially believed there could be up to three assailants.
But Andrae later said two others had “absolutely nothing to do” with the attack — and that they were simply fleeing the scene.
Munich’s main train station was evacuated and metro and bus transport suspended for several hours while residents were ordered to stay inside, leaving the streets largely deserted.
By early Saturday, transport services were running again.
“We are determined to do everything we can so that terror and inhuman violence stand no chance in Germany,” Merkel’s chief of staff Peter Altmaier said.
President Joachim Gauck said he was horrified by the “murderous attack”, while US President Barack Obama voiced staunch support for Washington’s close ally.
“Our thoughts are with the victims, their families, and all German people. Europe stands united,” EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said.
The attack came just days after a 17-year-old asylum seeker went on a rampage with an axe and a knife on a train on Monday near Wuerzburg, also in Bavaria, injuring five people.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere had said that assailant was believed to be a “lone wolf” who appeared to have been “inspired” by Islamic State group but was not a member of the jihadist network.
The train attack triggered calls by some politicians to impose an upper limit on the number of refugees coming into Germany, which accepted a record 1.1 million migrants and refugees last year, many through Bavaria.
The Munich mall is near the stadium for the 1972 Olympics and the athletes’ village which was the site of the hostage-taking of Israeli athletes by the Palestinian Black September group that ended in a massacre.
Europe has been on high alert for terrorism in the wake of a string of attacks in neighbouring France and Belgium claimed by the IS.
“It has reached us. People in Munich have long had a queasy feeling. Fears grew with every attack in Paris, Istanbul or Brussels,” the Abendzeitung newspaper’s editor-in-chief Michael Schilling said.
“There were particular concerns about the Oktoberfest. But since Friday it is clear that there can be no security anywhere, not even in the safest German city.”
The mall shooting occurred just eight days after 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel used a truck to mow down 84 people, including children, after a Bastille Day fireworks display in Nice, the third major attack on French soil in the past 18 months.
In March, IS claimed suicide bombings at Brussels airport and a city metro station that left 32 people dead.
In May, a mentally unstable 27-year-old man carried out a knife attack on a regional train in Bavaria, killing one person and injuring three others.
South Africa can book another continental finals appearance if they can hold their nerve in the second leg of their 2017 African Under-20 Championship qualifier at home to Lesotho on Saturday.
Amajita hold a 2-0 advantage going into the clash at the Petrus Molemela Stadium and it would be a major surprise should they fall short after a dominant display in Maseru a fortnight ago.
Victory will take them to the African Under-20 Championship finals in Zambia to be staged from February 26 to March 12‚ where they will need to reach the semifinals in order to book a place at the Under-20 World Cup to be held in South Korea later in the year.
But those thoughts are far off for Amajita coach Thabo Senong‚ who admits his side hold a heavy advantage‚ but says the job is only half done and has promised to take the game to Lesotho.
“We are not going to sit back and think because we have a two-goal advantage we are home and dry‚” he said.
“Things don’t work like that in football. We need to grind out another good win on Saturday.
“As far as match preparations are concerned‚ we have done everything expected of us.”
Much of this Under-20 squad has been drawn from the Under-17 side that competed at the World Cup in Chile last year‚ and so Senong can point to continuity in selection and familiarity among his players as a major plus.
In fact‚ 11 of the players who went to Chile are in the squad for Saturday’s game‚ and others such as BidVest Wits forward Liam Jordan and SuperSport United midfielder Zama Rambuwane have been around the squad for some time.
“We are all excited about the progress and the idea of qualifying for the CAF championships‚ and it’s every player and coach’s dream of playing in major continental and global tournaments‚” Senong said.
“The boys are looking sharp and we know Lesotho will not be a pushover but we need to be well prepared and I am confident we will deliver. Lesotho intend to spoil the party but if we play well‚ consolidate our position‚ keep the ball‚ work hard as a team and not get too excited‚ we will make it.
“We need to protect our two goals we scored in the first leg and if we score an early goal‚ it will help us control the game without much pressure.”
There are some injury concerns for the South Africans with Bafana Bafana international Fagrie Lakay from SuperSport United missing with a groin complaint‚ while Wits forward Luvoyo Mkatshana is out with a long-term knee injury.
– TMG Digital
The post SA on the verge of qualifiying for another continental tournament appeared first on HeraldLIVE.
Saturday represents a huge moment in South African rugby as the Stormers and Sharks try to overcome the odds to reach the Super Rugby semi-finals against the Chiefs and the Hurricanes respectively.
The Stormers have the marginally easier assignment‚ given that they are at Newlands‚ while the Sharks have travelled to the southern tip of the north island to face the tournament pacesetters.
Neither SA side is expected to win‚ given the results and the form of the two New Zealand teams‚ but in a knockout there is always hope.
The Sharks are first up at the Wespac Stadium on Saturday and while nothing appears to favour Gary Gold’s side‚ they have happy memories of beating the Hurricanes 32-15 in Durban in May.
The Hurricanes have scored 61 tries this season‚ the Sharks 40.
The ‘Canes have only conceded 37 and the Sharks 30 – there is not much in it defensively.
It’s hard to find a reason why the Sharks could win and with game-breakers such as flyhalf Beauden Barrett and wing Julian Savea on the bench‚ the Hurricanes seem to hold all the aces.
But the return of fullback Willie le Roux and centre Paul Jordaan from injury is a boost for the Sharks and if the weather is foul‚ the visitors’ kicking game could give them an even chance.
In Cape Town conditions will be greasy after heavy rains‚ although it’s not expected to be raining during the match.
The Stormers’ pack with locks Eben Etzebeth and Pieter-Steph du Toit in the vanguard will need to gain ascendancy and then it will be down to how well inexperienced flyhalf Rob du Preez can manage the game.
It will be fascinating to see if Etzebeth and Du Toit‚ the leading lineout poachers in the tournament‚ can upset the All Black duo of Dominic Bird and Brodie Retallick in the set-piece.
It will also be critical that Stormers looseforwards Sikhumbuzo Notshe and Schalk Burger neutralise Chiefs openside Sam Cane.
The Chiefs have a master tactician in flyhalf Aaron Cruden with All Black scrumhalf TJ Perenara also adept at controlling a match with the boot.
A third string in their bow is the inclusion of veteran Stephen Donald at inside centre to add even more kicking options to their armoury.
Fullback Damian McKenzie is also a kicking option‚ but his greatest strength lies in slithering through cracks in the defence – usually after errant kicks.
Buttoning the slippery McKenzie up is another non-negotiable for the Stormers.
Both matches will be fascinating tactical and physical battles. The odds are in favour of the New Zealand teams‚ but the South Africans won’t go down easily.
– TMG Digital
The post Can the Sharks and the Stormers upset the Super Rugby odds? appeared first on HeraldLIVE.
The ANC said it expects 40 000 supporters to attend its Siyanqoba mini rally in Port Elizabeth tomorrow where president Jacob Zuma will address the crowds.
The party said the rally at Zwide’s Dan Qeqe Stadium was part of the ANC’s bid to show its strength ahead of Nelson Mandela Bay’s most hotly contested municipal elections post-democracy.
The highly anticipated election is less than two weeks away.
Speaking at a press briefing earlier today, ANC national spokesman Zizi Kodwa said they want to show the party’s force in the Bay, that it was back on track.
“This will be the culmination of the work going on in the region.
“Leaders of the ANC have descended in the region for quite some time. The ANC campaign has now picked up and the machinery is oiled,”Kodwa said.
Zuma is expected to arrive in Port Elizabeth this afternoon. Kodwa said the rally is for the Bay region and not a provincial one.
“Tomorrow is going to be a festival. The people of Mandela Bay will be celebrating the strength of the ANC in this metro,” Kodwa said.
ANC regional task team coordinator Bheza Ntshona said they booked 500 buses to pick up supporters around the metro tomorrow.
South Africa’s Got Talent 2015 finalist‚ and very first Golden Buzzer star‚ Henno William has been signed by New York music executive Kevin Liles.
According to e. tv‚ the music mogul will be responsible for launching Henno’s career in the US and internationally‚ with a team of music producers‚ songwriters‚ taste makers and PR experts.
“This is so epic‚” Henno said. “They just saw my Beauty Queen music video on YouTube‚ and were so impressed that they reached out to us.”
Henno‚ 13, who released Beauty Queen‚ his debut single‚ two months ago‚ is set to travel to New York and Los Angeles in coming months until his family is ready to move to the US.
But not to worry‚ he is not planning to neglect South Africa anytime soon.
He will still be available to perform at festivals and on special occasions in this country within the next year.
A trial date has been set for a former Kingfisher FM DJ accused of stalking a woman online with threats to rape her.
The man, 36, who cannot be named until he pleads to the charge of sexual assault, appeared briefly in the Port Elizabeth Regional Court on Friday morning.
His celebrity lawyer, William Booth, has made representations to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in hopes of having the case withdrawn. They are still awaiting a response.
In the meantime, magistrate Johan Herselman set the matter down for trial on December 13. Herselman said should the DPP then decide to withdraw the charges, the trial would obviously not go ahead.
If not, then trial would proceed on that date. In a first of its kind sexual assault case in the Eastern Cape, the woman, aged 22, alleged the man phoned her constantly between July 26 and August 24 last year to describe in graphic detail how he wanted to “mount her like a horse” and have “forceful sex with her”.
The post Trial date set for former DJ accused of online rape threats appeared first on HeraldLIVE.
Have you tried: Farking?