264 parties have registered so far with the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) ahead of the 2016 local government elections.
The Western Cape and the Eastern Cape have the most registered parties.
“Any party that wants to participate in an election must register with the Electoral Commission. You may choose to register at national level, which will allow your party to contest elections of the National Assembly, provincial legislatures and all municipal councils,” the IEC said on its website.
According to the IEC, candidates could also choose to register only at municipal level for a particular municipality and their party would then only be allowed to contest municipal elections for those particular municipal councils stated in their registration application.
The IEC said registered parties that wanted to contest the election should submit lists of their candidates before an election, adding that there was no cut-off date for parties to register.
However, registration of a party to contest municipal elections required payment of R300 and signatures of 100 registered voters.
Jeanette Chabalala, News24
The number of registered parties for each level to date is:
- National – 167
- Eastern Cape – 10
- Free State – 3
- Gauteng – 8
- KwaZulu-Natal – 3
- Mpumalanga – 7
- Northern Cape – 7
- Limpopo – 15
- North West – 4
- Western Cape – 40
- TOTAL: 264
The parties contesting in the Eastern Cape ONLY (not on a national level):
- African Power Movement – APM: NMA – Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth)
- Cathcart Residents Association: EC124 – Amahlathi (Stutterheim)
- Coloured Community Alliance – CCA: NMA – Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth)
- Nxuba Community Organisation: NMA – Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth)
- Nxuba Community Organisation: EC128 – Nxuba (Adelaide)
- People Centered Alliance – PCA: EC107 – Baviaans (Willowmore)
- Sterkspruit Civic Association – CIVIC: EC141 – Elundini (Mount Fletcher)
- Sterkspruit Civic Association – CIVIC: EC142 – Senqu (Lady Grey)
- Sterkspruit Civic Association – CIVIC: EC143 – Maletswai (Aliwal North)
- Sterkspruit Civic Association – CIVIC: EC144 – Gariep (Burgersdorp)
- Sterkspruit Development Forum – SDF: EC142 – Senqu (Lady Grey)
The following two tabs change content below.