A proposal has been made that night visitors to Port Elizabeth’s Hobie Beach be charged for parking.
It is being championed by Nelson Mandela Bay Ward 2 councillor Renaldo Gouws, who says the money collected could be used to hire private security to improve safety in the precinct.
The proposal has received mixed reaction from businesses at the Hobie Beach complex.
Gouws has called for a meeting with Ward 2 residents and city officials on Thursday to discuss his proposal, among others, which he explained stemmed from sporadic incidents of crime at the beach.
He said the meeting, which would be closed to anyone who does not live in the ward, would determine a way forward.
Explaining the reasoning to the proposal, Gouws said: “There have been a couple of events over the past two to three years that have been very problematic.
“These include a rape or two and the killing of a parking marshal. There have also been attacks.
“There is clearly a problem in one of our main attractions.”
Gouws said more recently the lack of control in the parking lot at night had been highlighted by “pens down” parties.
He said he had been inundated with calls from residents about cars parked at Hobie Beach at about 4am and 5am.
“The problem that we currently have is that we don’t have any actual presence from the police because they are understaffed and it’s the same with metro police as they are busy fighting the northern areas battle,” Gouws said.
“At the moment, when something happens on the