Three of five ANC branches in Nelson Mandela Bay made a decision to boycott the ANC’s election manifesto launch last weekend, according to Rapport, citing party insiders.
The paper reported that the branches took the decision after telling ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte that they would not support Zuma as president, and called for him to step down over the Nkandla saga.
Duarte, however, made it clear that Zuma was not going anywhere. The branches said they had no other choice but to boycott the manifesto launch as a result.
The ANC was left red-faced last weekend as only between 30,000 and 47,000 of 110,000 expected voters pitched up to the ANC’s manifesto launch in Nelson Mandela Bay.
At the time, ANC chairperson Baleka Mbete told the crowd that the official record of people who had entered the stadium on Saturday was 42 000, but many had moved from their seats because of the scorching heat.
She also said buses were still arriving and taxis had been sent to the townships to pick up people.
Following the low turnout the party came up with a wealth of excuses, ranging from party members choosing to rather spend the day at the beach, to accusations of sabotage.
According to Rapport, members which is spoke to said that, while many citizens still have a lot of love for the ANC, the simple truth is that no one wants Zuma.
You can read the full story in the Rapport for 24 April 2016