When it comes to water leaks, residents are often unclear about whose responsibility it is to fix leaks. This handy guide will help you to take the right course of action.
Leaks can lead to huge water losses. Please report them as soon as you see them and help us save water!
IF THE LEAK OR PROBLEM IS ON YOUR PROPERTY:
The Municipality’s responsibility ends at your water meter. All piping from the meter inwards towards a private home or private property is the responsibility of the owner.
• The property owner is therefore responsible for fixing the problem.
• Please call your own plumber to attend to the required repair.
• Check your household insurance to see if the costs will be covered.
• If you call the Municipality to fix the leak, you will be charged a call-out fee.
• Don’t just leave it! The water wastage will increase your consumption and your water bill.
• You may apply to the Municipality for a water rebate, if the leak was below ground, but the rebate will only cover 50% of the cost of the water loss.
• No water rebate is offered for above ground leaks, such as