The biggest single investment most people will make in their lives will be their retirement savings – but most people simply do not save enough for retirement.
Many people cannot look forward to a financially secure retirement because they do not understand the fundamentals of retirement planning. They believe that simply belonging to a retirement fund will see them through.
Personal Finance and the country’s biggest retirement fund administrator, Alexander Forbes, aim to help you to plan properly and comprehensively for retirement, on an ongoing basis.
First up, in March, will be an all-day conference on the most important things you need to know about retirement planning. This will be followed by the creation of a retirement planning club, which will meet six times during the year. And everything will be stitched together in a retirement community website, which will bring club members up-to-date information and research and allow for the exchange of ideas.
The Ready Set Retire Conference will be held in Gauteng, the Cape Town area, Durban and Port Elizabeth.
Edward Kieswetter, chief executive of Alexander Forbes, says: “The point of the Ready Set Retire retirement planning environment we are creating is to ensure that people enhance their chances of a financially secure retirement. Alexander Forbes wants to enable and activate people to take the positive steps in self-education and personal planning that will assist in securing their long-term financial wellbeing in retirement. Too often, people with the best intentions do not achieve their financial targets. Often, the reason is because they do not have the necessary information and tools available.”
By signing up for the conference, you will have access to experts in the field of retirement planning in South Africa.
Subjects at the conference will include:
* The changing landscape of retirement planning. This presentation will take account of the many factors that impact on retirement, from longevity, the cost of medical care and government retirement reforms through to how much capital you are likely to need.
* An explanation of economics and why it is important to you.
* Understanding investing and the importance of asset classes in providing you with the optimum risk-adjusted returns both before and in retirement.
* The changing face of tax in retirement planning and the impact this can have on you.
* The risks you face in retirement.
* Your product choices before and after retirement.
* The psychology of retirement – adapting to a different life style.
The final programme, speakers, cost and booking details will be published in Personal Finance next week.
In the meantime, if you wish to reserve a place at the conference or need further details, email email@example.com