To see how hard working Ward Councillors go about their jobs, see Ward 5 councillor, Jeremey Davis’ newsletter below.
You may contact Ward 9 using the contact form at the bottom of this report.
27/05/2013 – Monday
- One of the owners at Kondoa flats, 16 Rose Street, Central, came to the office to discuss the arrears on their electricity bill which runs into the R100 000s. Cllr Davis advised that she visit the Customer Care Centre in Walmer to make arrangements to pay this debt.
- One confirmation of address.
- 7 Kirkwood Street, North End is applying for Council’s Special Consent to operate a house shop.
- Received a call from a tenant in Seultz Street, Sidwell who reported that ± 19 families were being evicted from Denton properties in the area. This was handed over to Cllr Isaac Adams who is the Councillor for Ward 11.
- Application received from Stanley on Bain, erf 6145, Central to lease the pavement for outside trading. Cllr Davis wrote to Human Settlements supporting the application.
28/05/2013 – Tuesday
- Cllr Davis spoke to Barbara the tenant at 7 Kirkwood Street, North End. She was advised to collect forms from Lillian Diedericks Building and that she would need the signatures of 8 neighbours supporting her. The cost for Council’s Special Consent for a house shop is R400.00
- The resident at 66 Arthur Street, Sydenham phoned to complain about the neighbour at 68 Arthur Street. General hygiene risk and filthy state of the back yard. This was reported to Waste Management and Environmental Health.
- Cllr Davis spoke to the Nigerian taxi drivers regarding parking outside the shops in Rose Street. It was suggested that they park across the way in front of Down Town Copiers where there is plenty of parking space.
- One proof of address.
- Pamphlets were distributed regarding a liquor application for 63 Western Road. Two objections have already been received.
- Followed up the broken drain grid outside St John’s Methodist Church in Havelock Street, Central.
- Street children sleeping on the verandah at Loxion in Parliament street was reported. Cllr Davis advised that the best route was to phone 10111 for assistance.
- Report back from Shannon Barkes regarding a water leak at Cabinet Concepts in Pine Avenue, North End. There is no chlorine in the water and therefore it is not a municipal leak. The owner of the property has been requested to resolve the situation.
29/05/2013 – Wednesday
- A resident of Kelly Street, North End visited the office with complaints about TW’s Tavern. Cllr
- Davis requested that Lindill Beets, Chairperson of Mount Road CPF to visit the complainant.
- Cllr Davis attended the Liquor Forum meeting at the Ward 7 office.
- Reported rubbish dumped at the corner of Perkin and Adler Streets, North End.
- Reported the tree outside 5 Stanley Street which needs trimming.
- Sent an email to Electricity requesting that the lights in Pearson Street, Central be repaired and that they investigate the possibility of floodlights around the park.
30/05/2013 – Thursday
- Cllr Davis had a meeting regarding Castro’s in Eastbourne Road, Mount Croix with Norman Gumede on the 13th Floor, Lillian Diedricks. Unfortunately this could not take place as the building was locked up so that no one could enter as the workers were striking for a 14th cheque.
- One proof of address.
- Cllr Davis attended the Mount Road CPF meeting.
- The lack of lighting at the Pearson Street Park, Central was reported once again and a request for floodlights at the park was submitted again.
31/05/2013 – Friday
- Cllr Davis attended Special Council Meeting.
03/06/2013 – Monday
- The bridge between the N2 and Uitenhage Road in Sydenham is once again attracting vagrants and this was reported to the Land Invasion Unit at Human Settlements.
- Cllr Davis visited Mrs van der Mescht at 35 Elizabeth Street, North End. Her house was hit by a truck.
- Black bags left on the corner of Middle Street and Elizabeth Street were once again reported to Harrower Depot.
- Illegal activities at Rubini House, Govan Mbeki Avenue was reported to Humewood SAPS
04/06/2013 – Tuesday
- A water leak at 38 Irvine Street, Richmond Hill was reported urgently as this was affecting the neighbours at 36 Irvine Street.
- Fathers House Family Church. Complaints were received from residents in Richmond Hill regarding noise and parking. Cllr Davis met with the pastor and compiled a report for the Richmond Hill Residents meeting.
05/06/2013 – Wednesday
- Cllr Davis attended the Richmond Hill Residents meeting and gave the following report back on Fathers House Family Church:
COMMENTS ON THE FATHERS HOUSE FAMILY CHURCH LETTER IN THE HERALD 05/06/2013
The Richmond Hill Residents Association represented by Simon Clark, refer to the attitude of the Fathers House Family Church. I must point out that the green area is maintained and cut on a weekly basis as I’ve already said and what’s more the Parks Department assist where they can, in what they refer to as an upgrade of the area. Four yellow fever trees have been planted on the road side edge of the site where incidentally a 900 cm wall will be built by the church (as I have also previously mentioned) to stop balls going into the street, creating safety for the children when playing on the green.
Between the green and the church, a narrow area has been paved in order to stop the ingress of water from the green into the building after heavy rains. Three aloes have also been planted on this edge of the green.
A letter from Mr Strydom of the Parks Department to Fathers House Church reads, “Thank you for keeping the public open space in such a good and clean condition. I am happy to hear the trees are doing well.
The building operation till late was on one night as concrete had to be glazed before it dried. I was informed that this was the reason for working into the night.
As far as the toilets problem is concerned, the church toilets were made available initially, but were left dirty and from a safety point of view, i.e. the possibility of theft, the church requested the building company to supply toilets which is the normal procedure.
The comment about a bar or restaurant refers to a coffee house with eight, four seater tables.
I must ask the question; do the present day residents in the area want this green to revert back to what it was previously, i.e. empty booze bottles lying around all over the place, a bottle recycling bin and two vagrants who lived on this green? It was disgusting!
It was reported that there was building rubble left at the premises on the corner of Broad Street and Pendagast Street, North End and that a vagrant has taken up residency at this site. This was reported to the Land Invasion Unit, who responded that this is private property and they therefore have no jurisdiction to react. It was advised that they contact 10111.
Pastor George from Father House church reported that the gas bottle had been moved to the back alley and that it has been caged. He also reported that the container has been removed as the building operation was coming to an end.
06/06/2013 – Thursday
- Cllr Davis attended a meeting regarding establishing a committee to combat drug abuse at the Ibhayi Conference Centre. He was invited to attend by Rion van Niekerk of Shepherds Field Rehabilitation Centre.
- It was reported that the Elliot Street Cemetery, Richmond Hill and the surrounding area was once again in a dreadfully filthy state. This was reported to Greg Kops (cemeteries) and Harrower Depot. Greg Kops responded that he has instructed an official to monitor the cemetery on a weekly basis.
07/06/2013 – Friday
- Cllr Davis visited Mr Tshanga, principal of Khumbalani High School with regards to possibly using their field for parking for Fathers House church.
- The holes in Rink Street, Central paving was reported again reference number 390853.
- Cllr Davis reported to Customer Care confusion on ACC:600 033 123 309 for the metros intervention to prevent the electricity supply being disconnected.
- the registered owner of Erf 583, North End, situated at 49 Sydenham Road has applied for the rezoning of the property from Residential 3C purposes to Business 1 purposes to permit the property to be used for business purposes as well as the development of a warehouse.
- the registered owner of Erf 3, Mount Road situated at 4 Eden Road, has applied for the Council’s Special Consent to permit the property to be used as a Guest House and the Removal of title conditions “B (a) and (b) from Deed of Transfer No. T102257/2002.
- Four objections received to the application for a liquor licence at 63 Western Road.
- A tree in urgent need of trimming at 32 Irvine Street, Richmond Hill was reported to John Heenen at the Parks Department. The urgency of the situation was stressed.