The DA condemns the violence and criminal activity currently taking place in Uitenhage and calls for urgent action.
The slow pace of housing delivery, high levels of unemployment and political infighting are the main causes of the violence that is tearing through Uitenhage at present.
The painfully slow pace of service delivery from this ANC government has frustrated communities who continue to live in poverty while ANC cronies fight over position and patronage rather than fighting for the people.
Allegations of factions within the ANC and its alliance partners being unhappy with the list for the 2014 elections are circulating in the community and there are suggestions that a community frustrated by poor services is being used to fight a political battle for positions on that list.
The violent and lawless behaviour of protestors must be condemned in the strongest terms by the political leadership of the municipality. The Mayor and Deputy Mayor must attend to this crisis and ensure that calm is restored to the Uitenhage community as a matter of urgency.
The DA demands an action plan that should include:
- Identifying and arresting the criminal elements that have burned private and council property;
- An investigation into political factions that are allegedly inciting violence;
- A comprehensive audit of the community’s housing needs and a plan to address these needs;
- A debate in Council on the consideration of a Sub-Council for Uitenhage and Despatch; and
- A plan to ensure the safety of non-violent community members and councillors.
Community members are threatening to withhold their votes for the ANC in 2014 as a protest against poor service delivery; we say this would not have happened under a DA led administration and they should consider lending us their votes.
Only when the DA governs will the Metro see a growing economy that creates jobs, delivers quality services and brings political stability to the Council. There is hope for Nelson Mandela Bay.
The following two tabs change content below.
These businesses support MyPE:
MyPE supports PE business: