Police in Nelson Mandela Bay were yesterday still searching for two people presumed drowned after heavy rains.
Police spokesperson in the Uitenhage area, Lt-Col Priscilla Naidu, said a 19-year-old man, John Smit, was swept off a bridge in KwaNobuhle on Sunday.
“The search for Smit is still on. Divers swam with their dogs up to the Swartkops River, but have had no success thus far,” Naidu said.
Naidu said a 32-year-old Kirkwood man was also believed to have drowned.
“He was swept away by the Wit River on Saturday which waters are still very dangerous to enter. Police will continue the search tomorrow,” said Naidu.
Police have issued a warning to all motorists in the province to exercise caution at all times during rainy weather and floods.
“Most of our roads were closed but some have been recently opened to aid motorists and travellers,” Police spokesperson Brig Marinda Mills said.
“After the closure of the two main roads between East London and Port Elizabeth on Monday, the R72 has been reopened for light motor vehicles.
“This road was closed to heavy vehicles to avoid further damage to the road and because of road hazards.”
Mills said heavy vehicles leaving East London for Port Elizabeth were being redirected to the N2 either via Mount Coke (R345) or via Amalinda (N2) to King William’s Town.
“All heavy motor vehicles leaving King William’s town for PE are being diverted at the Wimpy onto the R63 to Alice, Fort Beaufort, Adelaide, Bedford and left on to N10 towards Cookhouse onto Olifantskop Pass to join the N2 at Nanaga towards PE,” Mills said.
Those travelling from Grahamstown to Port Elizabeth are being diverted past Houwzenspoort and also at Salem junction towards Kenton on Sea to rejoin the R72 towards Alexandria.
This is after the N2 route between Grahamstown and Port Elizabeth collapsed at the weekend.
There was still traffic between St Francis Bay and Humansdorp as the Elandsfontein bridge has been washed away. Only pedestrians were being let through.
Disaster management provincial spokesperson Capt John Fobian said eleven people in the province had been confirmed dead since the heavy rains started on October 16. Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Zanoxolo Wayile said his area would be declared a disaster area.
Article source: http://www.thenewage.co.za/67395-1008-53-Two_missing_in_floods