Transnet released a statement on Sunday afternoon announcing
that it had obtained an interdict to stop a strike by its employees at the
Ngqura Container Terminal in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.
Staff have embarked on a go-slow at the facility this past
week, to which the entity responded with the suspension of 11 employees.
The go-slow caused such alarm among entity captains the
government, that Minister of Public Enterprises, Pravin Gordhan mentioned it on
the sidelines of his budget vote this past week.
The statement said the order by the Labour Court in Port
Elizabeth was issued to all operations employees at Ngqura Container Terminal.
“Operations have been disrupted by malicious radio
interference. Since the suspension of 11 employees last week, radio interference has stopped and operational
performance has improved,” the statement said.
The statement went on to say that operations at the Durban
Container Terminal and Cape Town Container Terminal had improved and that Transnet
was aware of “challenges” caused to various industries across the country.
Transnet Acting Group Chief Executive Mohammed Mahomedy said: “We are working around the clock to find solutions, including prioritising
urgent cargo. We are also continuing to refine our contingency plans in order
to minimise the impact to the economy”.