Okay, I accept that people don’t really read my words.
Earlier this week I poured my heart out and put forward my theory that one of the reasons why Port Elizabeth is recognised as a ‘second rate’ tourism destination is because we sell ourselves short and are probably far too cheap when it comes to accommodation. ‘So vaar as wraggies’ – whatever that means – the only question I got asked in return was; “So, Alan, which accommodation spots were the cheapest in Port Elizabeth then?”
See the first article: Top 5 Port Elizabeth vs Cape Town Accommodation Rates.
Sigh, come on now people let’s work on terms such as ‘value for money’ rather than accepting just the cheapest.
For the record, here follows a list of the Top 10 cheapest accommodation choices in Port Elizabeth that can be found on the SafariNow web site. For the purposes of this exercise I only considered ‘per person sharing’ rates, self catering, guest house and backpacker establishments and excluded caravan and camping sites (Click each link to get latest rates):
- From R90 per person: The Hippo Backpackers – a Backpacker, Bed and Breakfast in Richmond Hill. The Hippo Backpackers is an owner-managed lodge situated on Richmond Hill in Port Elizabeth. Homely and hearty, the Hippo is located in a central area of town, within easy reach of trendy restaurants and pubs.
- From R95 per person: Cora Terrace – a Backpacker, Self-catering in Central. Cora Terrace itself is three story’s high with a laid back atmosphere. Lots of chill-out space for guests with a large lounge with TV area, leading onto a balcony overlooking the pool.
- From R100 per person: Jikeleza Lodge Backpackers – a Backpacker in Port Elizabeth. Explore the revamped young heart of Port Elizabeth. Jikeleza is just a few streets away from buzzing nightlife. After a long day on the road, chill in the tranquil shady garden or sleep in sunny airy dorms/rooms or quaint wood units in the garden. The friendly staff will help you book or get advice.
- From R120 per person: Summertime Accommodation – Self-catering in Summerstrand. Summertime Accommodation offers affordable rooms and flats with the benefit of secure parking and being close to the lovely beaches of Summerstrand.
- From R120 per person: Lungile Lodge – a Backpacker in Humewood. Lungile Lodge in a luxurious beachfront backpackers that boasts hight standard facilities and is only 3km walk from the beach, entertainment and nightlife. Definitely one of the most upmarket and homely backpackers in the country with a perfect location and great vibe!
- From R120 per person: 99 Mile Beach Lodge – Self-catering in Summerstrand. 99 Mile Beach Lodge looks forward to welcoming you to our relaxing haven full of tranquility, comfort and homely surroundings. Our rooms are comfortable and well suited for families, backpackers as well as the discerning businessman. While enjoying your holiday simply relax with a good book or drink.
- From R150 per person: No. 1 Sherlock Street – Self-catering in Richmond Hill. No. 1 Sherlock Street offers four self-catering rooms in the suburb of Richmond Hill in Port Elizabeth. Two of the rooms have a sea view, while the other rooms open onto a garden courtyard.
- From R150 per person: Bluewater Bay – The Cottage – a Private Home, Self-catering in Bluewater Bay. The Cottage is a fully-equipped two bedroom self-catering/self-service cottage with a lounge, dining room, two bathrooms and kitchen. It is situated in Bluewater Bay, Port Elizabeth, just off the N2 highway and is 500 meters from the beach. Also in walking distance is the Zwartkopsriver which is ideal for fishing.
- From R150 per person: Den-Nay Cottage – Self-catering in Port Elizabeth. We offer a lovely one bedroom cottage in a quiet neighbourhood, situated in Sherwood, Port Elizabeth.
- From R150 per person: Cambridge Cottage – Self-catering, Bed and Breakfast in Mount Croix. Fully Equipped and open plan garden cottage at private house. TV, Serviced. Ensuite bedroom with private entrance and deck with braai. TV, Serviced. Affordable accommodation close to restaurants, cricket grounds and schools.
Embarassingly enough Cape Town, once again, beats Port Elizabeth as their cheapest advertised per person sharing advertised accommodation rate is R80.00 per night (Click each link to get latest rates):
- From R80 per person: Green Elephant Backpackers – Backpacker in Observatory. Friendly backpackers with excellent travel information and booking office. A solar heated swimming pool complements the hot jacuzzi for great relaxing parties. The computer has ADSL fast internet access for guests. All double rooms have 4 poster beds and the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable.
- From R90 per person: Lighthouse Farm Lodge Backpackers – a Backpacker in Mowbray. Beautiful site with open fields and river with views on Devils peak and Table Mountain. The rooms are doubles, twins, singles and dorms between 4 and 12 beds (bunk beds) with Oregon pine floors and lockable storage space. Self-catering kitchen with all amenities. Besides a full range of tours available we have horse riding, beautiful walks along the rivers.
- From R100 per person: Backpackers District Six – a Backpacker in Zonnebloem. Quaint modern seven-bedroom backpackers situated within the Castle Hotel in the up-and-coming East city prescint, which forms part of the historical District Six area.
- From R118 per person: Mountain Manor Backpackers – a Backpacker in Gardens. Our lodge has the most fabulous views of Table Mountain and Lions Head. Our entertainment room is fitted out with DSTV (Sky equivalent), a pool table and darts. There is also a TV room where you can watch television or just hang out chatting to fellow travellers.
- From R120 per person: Woodlands – a Backpacker, Self-catering in Southfield. The Southern Suburbs lie at the base of Table Mountain National Park – a mountainous backbone that stretches all the way from Signal Hill to Cape Point.
- From R130 per person: The Beach Lodge – a Lodge, Backpacker in Muizenberg. This seaside Edwardian building has a 20 m balcony overlooking the beach and the whole of False Bay – perfect for whale viewing. The lodge offers spacious single, double, twin, family and dorm rooms at very affordable rates.
- From R135 per person: Blouberg Warwick Apartment – a Self-catering in West Beach. Blouberg Warwick Apartment is a two-bedroom, ground floor, self-catering unit with double glass sliding doors leading from the lounge onto the patio and an attractive garden area.
- From R150 per person: Albany House – a Guest House in Sea Point. Albany House is very well located only 5 mins walk from the beach front and close to the famous VA Waterfront. The Guesthouse has five double rooms all with private shower/toilet and wash basin. The pool is located at the back of the house with a sunny private sun deck.
- From R200 per person: The Vineyards on Alpha Guest House – a Guest House in Brackenfell. The Vineyards on Alpha Guest House is a quaint Cape Dutch-style guest house located in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town. We are centrally located to wine routes, shopping centres, hospitals, golf courses, casinos, restaurants, and gyms.
- From R250 per person: Rachel’s Home from Home – a Self-catering, Bed and Breakfast in University Estate. Cozy and spacious Guest House with delightful garden. Two double rooms. Garden Apartment sleeps six people. Full hot breakfast served on upstairs landing overlooking views of Cape Town Harbour and surrounding suburbs. Or if preferred self catering available. Enclosed secure parking in garage.