With only four days to go before the kickoff, the Eastern Cape provincial government is urging residents to take ownership of the Orange Africa Cup of Nations.
MEC for sport and recreation, Xoliswa Tom, said: “We are committed as the government that we are going to give all we have to make this tournament a success. We call upon the people of the province to buy tickets for themselves and their families.”
The province toured various towns last week in a desperate bid to convince people to buy tickets. The towns visited were Queenstown, Aliwal North and Matatiele.
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium will host GroupB, whose teams are Ghana, Mali, Niger and DRC.
“Let us make this a family affair by bringing the whole family to the stadium as preparations have been made for a family day out. This is one tournament we cannot miss because it is truly ours as Africans,” Tom said.
Nelson Mandela Bay municipality mayor Zanoxolo Wayile said the metro had been working around the clock to make sure that all logistical arrangements were in place.
“We could not disappoint our own people, the province and the whole country. We want to make it clear that we will deliver a safe, exciting and world class tournament,” Wayile said.
Port Elizabeth and the rest of the province are trying to avoid the embarrassment of 1996, when the city was the worst host in terms of spectator turnout.
Ironically, even the presence of Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire back then failed to spark local interest.
Tickets can be bought at selected Super Spars and the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
The cheapest ticket for Group B’s double header opener on Sunday is R50.
Article source: http://www.thenewage.co.za/78349-1008-53-Ticket_sales_slow