Lets look at the Highlights of the 58 – 24 loss by the Southern Kings to the Chiefs on Saturday 12 March 2016:
- Southern Kings Hooker Edgar Marutlulle scored two great tries
- Southern Kings flyhalf Louis Fouche was successful with one conversion and 2 penalties
- The Southern Kings didn’t fall on the field when they run on
- The Southern Kings go to see Damian McKenzie score 28 points
- The Southern Kings practised standing behind the tryline …… a lot
- The NMMU Cheerleaders are still the National Cheer-leading Champions
- Our ball-boys got in lots of practise.
At the Nelson Mandela Bay stadium in Port Elizabeth, two time Super Rugby Champions (2012 and 2013) the Chiefs proved far too strong for a game Southern Kings side.
Despite their difficult build-up to the tournament and coming off a bye in the second round, the Kings showed plenty of heart by pushing their more fancied rivals throughout the first half.
The Chiefs still managed to score three converted tries through captain Sam Cane, Damian McKenzie and Taleni Seu.
McKenzie also added two penalties.
The Kings were rewarded for their never-say-die attitude with a try on the stroke of half-time through hooker Edgar Marutlulle
Louis Fouche kicked four penalties for the home side but the Chiefs led 27-17 at the break.
In the second half, the a rampant Chiefs side added further tries through Charlie Ngatai, Aaron Cruden, Sam Cane and Glen Fisiiahi to run away with the encounter, while Marutlulle scored his second for the home side.
McKenzie added a penalty on the stroke of full time for the visitors.
Next weekend the Kings travel to New Zealand to play the Crusaders while the Chiefs are in Argentina to face the Jaguares.
- Kings: Tries: Edgar Marutlulle (2); Conversions: Louis Fouche; Penalties: Fouche (4)
- Chiefs: Tries: Sam Cane (2), Damian McKenzie, Taleni Seu, Charlie Ngatai, Aaron Cruden, Glen Fisiiahi; Conversions: McKenzie (7); Penalties: McKenzie (3)
- Kings: 15 Jurgen Visser 14 Luzuko Vulindlu 13 Stefan Watermeyer 12 Shane Gates 11 Malcolm Jaer 10 Louis Fouche 9 Ntando Kebe 8 Jacques Engelbrecht 7 Thembelani Bholi 6 Chris Cloete 5 JC Astle 4 Steven Sykes (captain) 3 Jacobie Adriaanse 2 Edgar Marutlulle 1 Schalk Feirreira
- Substitutes: 16 Sithembiso Sithole 17 Martin Bezuidenhout 18 Tom Botha 19 Schalk Oelofse 20 CJ Velleman 21 Kevin Luiters 22 Elgar Watts 23 Jaco van Tonder
- Chiefs: 15 Damian McKenzie, 14 Glen Fisiiahi, 13 Seta Tamanivalu, 12 Charlie Ngatai, 11 James Lowe, 10 Aaron Cruden (co-captain), 9 Brad Weber, 8 Michael Leitch, 7 Sam Cane (co-captain), 6 Taleni Seu, 5 Johan Bardoul, 4 Michael Allardice, 3 Siate Tokolahi, 2 Nathan Harris, 1 Mitchell Graham
- Substitutes: 16 Rhys Marshall, 17 Pauliasi Manu, 18 Atu Moli, 19 James Tucker, 20 Maama Vaipulu, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Anton Lienert-Brown, 23 Sam McNicol
The following two tabs change content below.