This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
Image by awstraton
1836: The present Russell Road was first known as Burial Kloof, as on it’s upper right slope was the burial ground of the early settlers. It was renamed Hymanskloof after Mr Hyman, leader of the Hyman Party, whose isolated dwelling at the lower end of old Main Street faced the kloof. A stream of water always flowed through the kloof and the deep pools were used for washing of the laundry of the townsfolk. A narrow path led up through the kloof to Strangers Location – a collection of squalid huts and miserable shanties. Much of the land in this area belonged to the London Missionary Society.
On the site of the present Richmond Hill was the Fingo Location or Fingo City with its poor dwellings.
The kloof also afforded a secure hiding-place to truant schoolboys who escaped from the lessons presented by school master Reid.
With the exception of a few cottages in Lower Hill and Municipality Streets and a couple of yellow buildings on the corner of CHapel Street there were no other buildings in these localities.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
The following two tabs change content below.