In their second match of the tournament Eastern Province played against Boland in the Coca Cola Craven Week at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth today.
The team will be satisfied with a second win in the competition as an interesting fact from the tournament is that each of the 22 players on each team has to get a chance to start, tactical replacements are not allowed, only injury replacements. Theoretically then the team with the greatest depth has the best chance at winning the tournament.
A couple of missed penalties put a damper on the score but that was overshadowed by some sterling running rugby with both teams not afraid to start a movement from off of their trylines.
EP opened the scoring with a penalty but conceded a try and conversion to Boland who led off of a converted try and penalty for most of the first half until EP caught up with a converted try with minutes to go.
Score at the close of the first half: 10-10
Eastern province dominated possession and territory in the second half conceding 3 points and piling on 12 to take the winning score to 22-13.
- Eastern Province: Tries – T Williams, Aidon Davis, Seargal Petersen; Conversions – Ernst Stapelberg (2), Penalties – Ernst Stapelberg
- Boland: Tries – A Stubbs; Conversions – C Willemse; Penalties – C Willemse, C Sharp
Thursday 12 July Craven Week Fixtures:
- 09:30 – Griquas CD vs Border CD
- 11:00 – Limpopo vs Zimbabwe
- 12:30 – EP CD vs Griffons
- 14:00 – WP vs SWD
- 15:30 – Blue Bulls vs Pumas