Port Elizabeth – The Nelson Mandela Bay Metro has been ordered on Tuesday to pay former municipal manager Lindiwe Msengana-Ndlela over R3m in damages.
Msengana-Ndlela brought an application to the Port Elizabeth High Court saying that she had been forced to quit due to threats and interference in her work by her political bosses, Mayor Ben Fihla and his deputy, Chippa Ngcolomba.
Plans to sue
According to court papers, Msengana-Ndlela initially planned to sue the municipality for R8.624m – the amount which she would have received had she completed her contract between March 2013 and March 2018, but this was revised down because she has been employed since October 2013.
Handing down judgement, High Court Judge Dayalin Chetty ordered that the municipality pay out R3 142 235.17 to Msengana-Ndlela, as well as costs.
Chetty also lambasted the municipality, saying that despite the denials in opposing affidavits submitted by the municipality, it was clear they had no intention of refuting Msengana-Ndlela’s version of events.
Chetty said this had led to the incurring of legal costs, which ultimately the city’s rate payers would have to bear.
On Monday ANC Secretary General, Gwede Mantashe, announced that both Fihla and Ngcolomba were being redeployed and would be resigning from their positions.
Manatashe said that the ANC have chosen South African Football Association President, Danny Jordaan, to replace Fihla, and former Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Deputy Mayor, Bicks Ndoni, to return as deputy mayor.
The following two tabs change content below.