THE mother of a Grade 5 pupil allegedly pushed, choked and pinned to the ground by a teacher during assembly has vowed to stop at nothing to ensure the teacher is brought to book.
The mother, who cannot be named to protect the identity of her 13-year-old son, said she found out about the incident from other staff members at Kabega Park Primary School in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape. The pupil was allegedly assaulted in the school hall on Tuesday morning by the sports coach.
The woman told of how she watched camera footage of her son being violently pushed and pinned to the ground, effectively being choked. A case of common assault has since been opened at Kabega Park police station, while the boy was treated for minor internal bruising by a doctor yesterday.
The mother was yesterday penning a letter to chief education specialist George Lukwe, who said the Port Elizabeth education district office would look into the matter and send an official to the school for further investigation today.
The mother said she was upset by how the incident was not brought to her attention through proper channels, instead having to hear about it in the school’s corridors from other staff members.
“I went to the school on Tuesday afternoon to pay school fees and to get a progress report from his teacher. She [the teacher] told me she had something to tell me. Someone also mentioned to me how they did not like how [the teacher] had taken on my son.
“I did not know what they were talking about, and only after I had asked them did I know.”
The mother said she called her son to get the full story.
He then told her how the teacher had “klapped him and pinned him to the ground”.
“I went to the principal, but I noted some defensiveness [from him] as he sounded like my son was the one in the wrong. The teacher had apparently claimed that he fell on my son and did not intentionally pin him down.
“The principal apologised after seeing the CCTV footage I had with me. The teacher also apologised ‘if he offended my son’.
“My son is no angel, and I could see in the footage that there was general banter from the boys, but the teacher singled out my son. I have a big problem with the way the teacher handled that and I will not let it go.”
The principal, Patrick Sharp, declined to comment yesterday, only saying through his secretary: “The matter is still under investigation by the police and we will not be able to comment at this stage.”
Another teacher, identified only as Mr Boschoff, who showed the mother the camera footage of the incident, would also not comment, saying he was “not authorised to talk about this”.
By late yesterday, Lukwe had not received any correspondence from the mother, but said the matter had been brought to his attention by the provincial office.
“I’m still to get more details on this from the circuit manager, who will go to the school [today] to get all the details,” he said.
For more stories like this one, be sure to buy the Sowetan newspaper from Mondays to Fridays