Amidst all the hype around Port Elizabeth‘s Blue Flag beaches a syndicate of 4 people has gained what I am sure is a first for the country and definitely for Port Elizabeth.
Blue Flag status was today awarded to Yacht Fling which is part owned by the ABYC Sailing Commodore, Morgan Griffiths.
Fling is a Sadler 26 design and a personal leisure boat sailing out of the Algoa Bay Yacht Club. She has a syndicate of 4 owners who all are committed to respecting and caring for the environment.
The Blue Flag is awarded to beaches, marinas and craft that comply with the Blue Flag criteria and there are four main areas:
- Water quality
- Environmental education information
- Environmental management
- Safety and services
The three Port Elizabeth beaches that achieved Blue Flag status are:
- Humewood Beach: A typical Eastern Cape sandy beach with good waves. The beach is situated on the outskirts of the main city area on the sea side of Happy Valley, a well-known landmark in town.
- Hobie Beach: Hobie beach, which is a favorite for swimming, sunbathing and body surfing, also offers sheltered rock pools with interesting inter-tidal sea life. Other facilities include plenty of eating establishments, ablution facilities, as well as a launching place for sailing and rubber ducking.
- Kings Beach: King’s Beach is a magnificent 1,6 km wide expanse of golden sand extending from the harbor wall to Humewood. The beach is ideal for safe swimming, body surfing, sunbathing and long beach walks, and includes facilities such as a supertube for the adventurous, a snack bar, parking area, change-rooms and lifesavers’ centre.
There were four other Eastern Cape Beaches awarded Blue Flag Status:
- Dolphin Beach in Jeffrey’s Bay: A beautiful wide beach which is popular with families and holidaymakers. The town of Jeffery’s Bay is world-famous for its surfing and a popular holiday destination.
- Hamburg beach on the Sunshine Coast: Hamburg is a sandy beach. It is in a very remote area but walking is encouraged. There are lifeguard and lifesaving equipment.
- Kariega Beach in Kenton-on-Sea: Kariega Main beach is located in the holiday village of Kenton-On-Sea between Port Elizabeth and Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape.
- Kellys Beach in Port Alfred: Welcome to Kelly’s beach, in Port Alfred (the Kowie) situated in the “heart of the Sunshine Coast” on the eastern coast of South Africa.
The following two tabs change content below.