The NMB Metro’s roads infrastructure is failing, as confirmed by ANC MAYCO Member, Councillor Rory Riordan. With more potholes, more unfinished projects and more dirt roads then ever before, our people are being forced to embark on dangerous journeys across a congested and inadequate Metro road infrastructure.
I was shocked to see the Road To Nowhere, below the William Moffett Expressway, that lies abandoned and unfinished by an ANC local government that has given up on delivery.
The Road To Nowhere is a sad monument to ANC government failure, with zero vision and foresight to complete projects.
I believe that what we see at the Road To Nowhere is a government that over the years hasn’t cared enough to plan for the future. NMB has been brought to its knees by ad hoc governance where the ANC puts band-aids over crises, ignores practical solutions and doesn’t plan ahead.
This week the DA launches a plan to turn Nelson Mandela Bay into a forward thinking city, where a DA-led government commits to proper long-term planning rather than ad hoc solutions to problems.
The DA’s forward thinking city plan includes:
- Urban road and infrastructure regeneration is crucial to developing and upgrading previously disadvantaged areas, through tenders that delivery value for money and excellent delivery.
- Surfacing of gravel roads in high density urban areas must be expedited to restore dignity to these communities and prevent ongoing flooding.
- Creation of a wheelchair friendly city and public transport system.
- Improve and expand public transport so that a fully functional IPTS is established that links road, rail and taxi networks.
- Improve access to information and communication technology through opportunity centres, broadband networks and public WIFI.
- Install energy efficient lighting in all government buildings and public spaces, and build human settlements that generate their own power and recycle.
- Identify and facilitate regional and local investment and growth opportunities with progressive private business, committed to the green economy, resource conservation and job creation.
- Prioritise the Nooitgedacht Low Level Scheme so that residents have a safe and reliable source of drinking water.
- Prevent all NMB officials from doing business in any way with the Metro, and blacklisting contractors who have failed to deliver.
- Deliver renewable energy options, with particular focus on tidal, wind and waste-to-energy, and to allow private power producers to sell power to the Metro.
In a fair society, people and information move efficiently to access opportunities and to live freely.
A forward thinking city must address the challenges of our society proactively, innovatively and sustainably. The road to nowhere represents the very opposite of a forward thinking city, and shows that the ANC has given up on Nelson Mandela Bay.
The DA is set on winning Nelson Mandela Bay at next year’s local government election to deliver forward thinking policy and to make the Metro a hub of growth and jobs.
Editor: Let us all sing along to one of my favourite bands – The Talking Heads – as they sing about the “Road to Nowhere”:
The following two tabs change content below.