The conflict between the Education Department and schools in Port Elizabeth’s northern areas continues, with three more schools locking the gates over teacher shortages.
Last week, parents closed more than 40 schools to press for their demands.
The department had undertaken to allocate 327 teachers to the Nelson Mandela Bay district while accusing the principals of dragging their feet. David Livingstone SGB chairperson, Marcus Klate, says the school has submitted all the documents.
He says: “We gave them a seven day period to comply with our demands, that seven day expired last Friday and they still did not comply with our demands. Parents felt we should close our schools up until the department complies with our demands.”
District Director in the Nelson Mandela Bay, Dr Nyathi Ntsiko, insists that schools are still dragging their feet in submitting the applications.
Dr Ntsiko says: “We have asked the schools to submit their application forms and they did that. With some of them there was a delay on the side of the schools.Out of 170 we are talking about, only 121 submitted. We have been appealing to schools to submit but now we have decided we are not going to wait for them. We are going to issue appointment letters on Friday.”