Panayiotou ‘hitman’ to sue state for large sum
Sizwezakhe Vumazonke says he was beaten up by police officers who wanted to get a confession out of him.
PORT ELIZABETH – The alleged hitman in the Jayde Panayiotou kidnapping and murder case who claims to have been assaulted by police says he will be suing the state for damages.
His lawyer confirmed that he will be suing for a “massive amount”.
He claims that he was beaten up by police officers who apparently wanted to get a confession out of him.
During his first court appearance, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, who allegedly pulled the trigger in the case, arrived in the dock with bruises and a swollen face.
Sizwezakhe Vumazonke appears before the Port Elizabeth Magistrates Court for his role in the murder of Jayde Panayiotou. Picture: Siyabonga Sesant/EWN
Vumazonke was allegedly hired by Jayde’s husband, Christopher, to kill her.
The National Prosecution Authority (NPA’s) Velekhaya Mgobhozi has refused to comment on claims Vumazonke was assaulted by police.
Meanwhile, Panayiotou’s bail hearing continues on Tuesday.
MURDER DETAILS REVEALED
Last week, prosecutor Marius Stander read out investigating officer Kanna Swanepoel’s report in court, which revealed startling details relating to the events which led to Jayde’s murder.
Swanepoel said Panayiotou was in a relationship with his wife Jayde for more than a decade.
They got married two years ago but during this time Panayiotou was apparently involved with another woman.
Swanepoel revealed there were two failed attempts on Jayde’s life before she was eventually murdered.
He also said Panayiotou paid two men R70,000 for the hit.
The state alleges he killed Jayde because he deemed her a financial burden.
The document further claimed Jayde was hit over the head and put into the boot of a car before she was shot at close range, twice in the back and once in the head.
Swanepoel’s report said Panayiotou had planned to kill her on a specific day but, “it rained too hard so the plan was abandoned.”
(Edited by Gadeeja Abbas)