It is with regret, but coupled with a great sense of pride and gratitude that the Democratic Alliance announces the retirement from the Nelson Mandela Bay Council of respected DA Caucus Leader, Leon J.de Villiers, effective 28 February 2014.
Councillor de Villiers joined the Democratic Party in 1997. He was elected a DA Councillor in 2000 and has always been a fearless opponent of the ANC in Council. Under his leadership the DA in Nelson Mandela Bay has become a serious contender for government and in 2016 this will become his legacy.
During his time in office, he has shown great strength of character and a work ethic many would envy. The caucus members, who he has led, are unanimous in their admiration for a principled man who is a strong leader, a researcher, an orator, always approachable, always moral, and a gentleman at all times. His assets are seasoned with a very well developed sense of humour, despite rising very early every day, to attend to his political tasks.
Leon is proud of his school mottoes; Herbert Hurd Primary’s “Be Just; Fear Not” and Technical High School’s “DO IT NOW!” His friends, DA colleagues, and wider circle can attest to the fact that Leon has always been true not only to those mottoes, but to living his life as a committed Christian. He has led by example, and there are many who have learned much, from him, and will miss him sorely.
During his tenure in politics since 1994 when he formed the Sundays River Party, Leon has:
- Been the DA’s mayoral candidate in the 2011 elections;
- Been Chairman of the Regional Management Committee of the DA;
- Succeeded in getting Council to approve rates rebates for farmers and game parks, extending ATTP to old age homes, special electricity tariffs for old age homes and property owners with multiple dwellings on their property;
- Assisted hundreds of property owners to correct their property valuations and categories; and
- Exposed numerous cases of fraud, corruption, fruitless and wasteful expenditure.
Leon will remain an active member of the DA and his knowledge and expertise will continue to guide us into government in 2016.
The DA in the Metro wishes Leon and his wife Judy all the very best in their “retirement”.
The following two tabs change content below.
These businesses support MyPE: