Numsa’s strike at Transnet in Nelson Mandela Bay continues with a meeting between union bosses and management set to take place in Port Elizabeth at the weekend.
Numsa national treasurer Mphumzi Maqungo yesterday joined about 600 striking employees at the Port of Ngqura in Coega outside Port Elizabeth to hand over a memorandum to the parastatal’s management.
Members of the union at the port have been on strike since April 25. They are demanding permanent jobs for workers hired through labour brokers.
They also said the new shift system for crane operators was “unilaterally implemented by management” and they wanted parity in the transport subsidy with colleagues at the main port of Port Elizabeth.
“We received a request from Transnet that they would like to meet with us. I think we will be able to meet at the weekend. We will look at their response and consult our members. Meanwhile the strike continues,” he said.
Maqungo said plans to hold protests at the port of Port Elizabeth were shafted after “we heard the port had been turned into a national key point on May 17”.
Transnet Eastern Cape Terminals GM, Siyabulela Mhlaluka, said Numsa’s demands had been addressed, “through formal bargaining structures with recognised unions – the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union and Utatu-Sarwhu”.
Mhlaluka said since the beginning of the year “Transnet had been consulting with the recognised unions to phase out labour brokers and convert their contracts into Transnet employees.”
Article source: http://www.thenewage.co.za/126154-1008-53-Numsa_still_striking