The two men who raped and brutally attacked Alison Botha in Noordhoek, Port Elizabeth, in 1994 will have to wait to see if they get parole after spending 17 years behind bars, correctional services said on Tuesday.
“Theuns Kruger and Frans du Toit have not been granted parole, neither have they appeared before a parole board. What appeared in the newspapers is not an accurate report of what happened,” spokesman Sonwabo Mbananga said.
“The department was asked to consider parole for people sentenced before October 1, 2004. Kruger and du Toit fall in that group, however the minister of correctional services will ultimately make the decision.”
Kruger and du Toit were sentenced to life imprisonment by the Port Elizabeth High Court in August 1995.
They were found guilty of raping Botha, stabbing her more than 30 times and trying to slit her throat 16 times. Botha was able to stumble to the roadside carrying her intestines in her shirt and holding her head.
The Beeld reported on Tuesday that according to new legislation, which came into effect in June last year, all prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment before 2004 could apply for parole if they had already served 13 years and four months of their sentences.
When contacted, Botha, who wrote a book about her ordeal, told the newspaper she was shocked at the prospect of her attackers being paroled.
“I would be terrified if they get out. I would desperately like to be part of their parole hearing,” she was quoted as saying.
Mbananga said before someone could be considered for parole they had to comply with several criteria and their profiles needed to be submitted to the correctional services minister.
“The profiles include the sentencing remarks, social worker report, psychiatrist report and a representation by Botha herself. Then the minister will apply her mind and make the final decision.”
The national council of correctional services helps the minister and ensures all requirements are met before any prisoner is considered for parole, said Mbananga. – Sapa