Eastern Cape Premier, Oscar Mabuyane, said that no military will be deployed in the Eastern Cape as yet to fight gangsterism.
That’s because he said there was good progress in the work being done by the police and their strategic partners in eradicating the scourge of gang violence.
Premier Mabuyane paid a visit to Port Elizabeth’s northern areas on Tuesday, accompanied by provincial police commissioner, Lieutenant-General Liziwe Ntshinga and Nelson Mandela Bay executive mayor, Mongameli Bobani.
He addressed the media during a visit to Strelitzia Primary School in the northern areas which closed its doors last week due to safety concerns as a result of gang shootings.
“There can’t be peace and security in a place where our people have to run away from guns. We are declaring war on gangsterism, crime and drugs. We are going to remove any stumbling block against the people and our government, especially crime,” he said.
The chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Safety and Security in the Province promised a fence for the school by next week.
The Premiers’ visit was preceded by an overnight operation that led to the recovery of eight illegal firearms, 14 rounds of ammunition and 6000 mandrax tablets.
“Fighting crime and eradicating gangsterism in our province is one of [the] key priorities of the sixth administration. Crime affects our daily lives, development and even business, “Mabuyane said.