Nelson Mandela University will be beefing up security across all its campuses to try to ensure the safety of staff and students following a vicious attack of two students at its Second Avenue Campus on Monday night.
The University was extremely shocked and deeply saddened by the horrific incident and expressed solidarity with students around safety concerns and challenges related to the scourge of gender-based violence.
Both students are receiving counselling and other necessary support, as are others traumatised by the horrific incident.
Nelson Mandela University management spent the better part of today (Tuesday) in consultation with students around issues of safety and security.
As a result of these discussions, the following measures are to be immediately implemented:
- Heightening security by increasing the number of staff to undertake visible patrolling across all campuses, including all teaching venues, from now until the end of exams
- Expanding its partnership with SAPS and the Metro Police so as to attain extra support for our students in and around our campuses, particularly on Second Avenue and Missionvale
- Improvement of the CCTV monitoring
- Undertake control checks at entrances, taxi drop-off points and bus stops
- Undertake an audit of all the external campus lighting
- Extending its anti-crime initiatives with the Summerstrand Community Crime Forum, especially towards the establishment of safe off-campus “green route” that will be monitored and patrolled
Medium- and long-term security efforts were also raised and will be driven by the establishment of a joint Campus Safety and Security Task Team towards reviewing security systems and identifying enhancements. This team will include students, who have been invited to send representatives.
All staff and students are advised to have their identity cards with them at all times as part of the immediate safety improvements on all our campuses going forward.
The University is committed to the safety of its staff and students, which remains an apex priority for the institution.
The following two tabs change content below.