Led by Athol Trollip as the Executive Mayor, Councillor Mongameli Bobani as the Deputy Executive Mayor and Councillor Jonathan Lawack as the Speaker, the mayoral committee is as follows (scroll down for images of each):
- Councillor Retief Odendaal – Budget and Treasury
- Councillor Mongameli Bobani – Public Health
- Councillor Annette Lovemore – Infrastructure and Engineering
- Councillor Rano Kayser – Roads and Transport
- Councillor Andrew Whitfield – Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture
- Councillor Siyasanga Sijadu – Sports, Recreation, Arts and Culture
- Councillor Dean Biddulph – Corporate Services
- Councillor Shirley Sauls – Constituency Services
- Councillor John Best – Safety and Security
- Councillor Nqaba Bhanga – Human Settlements
- Councillor Lance Grootboom – Municipal Public Accounts
In addition to this, the Mayor will be applying to the MEC for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Fikile Xasa, to establish Section 79 Committees with appointed chairpersons.
The objective of this initiative is to ensure that there is a separation of powers, as enshrined in the Constitution and Municipal Structures Act, in order to facilitate effective oversight of the executive.
“In the past there has been a blurring of lines of responsibility and authority between the executive, the council and the administration. This allowed for a breakdown in accountability which in turn led to an overbearing dominance of the executive,” said Trollip
“This administration plans to secure considerable savings through the trimming of the bloated bureaucracy of political appointments, some of which will be used to fund these additional positions, all in the interest of ensuring better service delivery and accountability,” concluded Trollip.
Related: See the acceptance speeches from each Mayoral Committee member here.
The following two tabs change content below.