The first cell of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed wing of the ANC, was set up in New Brighton. The Red Location Museum is one of the main tourist attractions.
On 21 February 1917, the troop ship SS Mende collided with the Darrow off the Isle of Wight whilst travelling in a heavy fog. As a result 625 men of the volunteer SA Native Contingent, drowned. Some of these men came from the Eastern Cape and a memorial stands in New Brighton in their honour.
During 1930 lights were switched on for the first time in New Brighton.
On 2 March 1937, the New Brighton Library opened as a result of the joint efforts of the local European/Bantu joint council. In May 1939 it was reported to have 11 000 books in stock.
On 21 November 1937, work began on a planned 3 000 houses in New Brighton under a municipal 5, year plan with money borrowed from the central government. In rthe same year on 22 December, plans were approved for the housing of indigent aged at Gypsumville, Korsten and New Brighton.
1939 saw the New Brighton Presbyterian Church opening on 5 March and the formation of the cooperative trading movement presided over by Dr JWWW Jabavu on 20 April.
The School Board established the Pendla, Kama, Molefe and Newell schools in 1942 in New Brighton.
New Brighton Beach is located just before Bluewater Bay. It has a promenade with cafeteria and children’s’ playground, change rooms, lifesavers’ tower, and offers good swimming and angling opportunities. The Beach is accessed by traveling along the N2 towards Grahamstown and taking the Brighton Beach turn-off, just past Deal Party.
On Friday, 15 September, Coca-Cola Beverages South Africa (CCBSA) rolled up their sleeves, donned plastic gloves and tackled plastic and other pollution on the St George’s and New Brighton beaches in Port Elizabeth.
The following two tabs change content below.