PORT ELIZABETH – Nelson Mandela Bay was formally declared a water disaster by Executive Mayor Athol Trollip.
The mayor formally declared the metro a disaster area on Monday after major storage dams dropped to 38.5 percent. At a media briefing on Wednesday, Trollip said the city faced a severe drought and had been exceptionally dry since July last year.
The municipal document shown below outlines the water restrictions that apply to all residents in the affected areas.
Water Restrictions to be implemented with immediate effect in Nelson Mandela Bay pic.twitter.com/XoL3atMu9d
— Port Elizabeth (@MyPE) May 24, 2017
“We are faced with a crisis simply because a water provision canal has collapsed which has made it even more important that we save water,”said Trollip.
MMC for Safety and Security, John Best, said that a legislative process was underway for the disaster to be promulgated into the provincial gazette.
“Once the gazette is promulgated and it is published then we can apply to government for additional financial assistance. We believe the the process can take up to a week,” said Best.
— RNEWS SA (@RNEWSZA) May 9, 2017
MMC for Infrastructure and Engineering Annette Lovemore, urged residents to use water sparingly and said that 40 kilolitres of water per month per household was the restriction imposed.
“It is a substantial amount of water, we don’t in anyway want to put across a message that it is okay to use 40 kl a month. It is probably okay to use between 10-15 kl per month per household at this stage,” said Lovemore.
Contractors will have to use recycled water from Fishwater Flats.
African News Agency