The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has hit back at the Democratic Alliance (DA) following claims that the metro’s budget would fail and that R1.77 billion had been wasted.
Acting municipal manager Johan Mettler said in a statement that the state of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s finances was stable, secure and good.
On Wednesday, DA caucus leader Retief Odendaal released a statement saying that the Auditor-General’s report had revealed Nelson Mandela Bay to be the “worst financial offender in South Africa” with more than R1.77 billion lost to “wasteful, fruitless and irregular expenditure under the ANC”.
“This enormous waste of R1.77 billion is a devastating blow to Mayor (Danny) Jordaan, and finance head, Rory Riordan, as for the 5th year in a row, NMB has received a qualified audit,” said Odendaal.
However, Mettler said there was no possibility of the budget failing, or of R1.77 billion having been wasted, or of another qualified audit report based on the state of the institution’s finances.
“The budget that was tabled and noted at the Council meeting of May 31 would in fact have been approved were it not for the technicality that the prescribed seven days notice had not been met. In terms of a council resolution taken, the budget will be again tabled at a another Council meeting scheduled for 7 June,” said Mettler.
He said that the R1.77 billion related to audited findings for the 2014/15 financial years.
“This amount was already in the public domain in November 2015 and has absolutely nothing to do with the current budget. The reference to the amount being lost ‘to wasteful, fruitless and irregular expenditure’ is baseless – these were simply instances of officials failing to keep proper records or following due procedures,” he said.
– African News Agency (ANA)