On Friday past we were treated to the spectacular sight of high speed limousines with blue flashing lights, helicopters, SAPS divers, crack shots, menacing looks and over zealous bodyguards with curly bits of semen lookalike plastic dropping from their ears.
I find myself wondering why a man leading the most popular movement in South African history feels so threatened that he has to be accompanied by this mass of protection. Sure, we are all aware that there are crazies out there who would take out the most popular man in the country just to be able to bask in a little bit of the limelight. Let’s be blunt here – look at what the assassination of Verwoerd in 1966 did for the National Party – helping to lengthen it’s tenuous grasp on power all the way to 1994? Martyrdom is certainly an option to be considered when the Desperate Alternative are looking all the more like one.
Of course masses of media persons were on hand at Nqura to record this momentous occasion funded by the taxpayers. But the politicians would have us believe that they were the ones who scrimped and saved billions and then brought their own shovels and wheelbarrows to dig that massive hole in the ground.
At election time one is prone to see various persons vying for office photo bombing every camera in sight – Japanese tourists have been known to leave the country in a state of shock after having their images ruined by idiot wannabe politicians grabbing their hands, kissing their babies and making bunny ears above their heads.
But, after the votes have been cast the dazzling smiles are put away and out comes the hard nosed security detail who don’t quite get it. Try and take a photograph of the President’s car and some steroid crazed beast chases you away – I have images of all the cars I have paid for so why can’t I take an image of the one wheel nut that my taxes paid for?
Stand in front of 40 photographers pushing you forward whilst trying to take a picture and some idiot security guard says that he will strike you down on the ground if you come one centimetre closer to the President – all of a sardine you are now responsible for pushing 40 people behind you back.
Walk out of the way of an oncoming president and one security guard says; “Go that way”, you turn and a different security guard says; “Go that way”, you turn in a different direction only to have a third security guard shove you from behind in a completely different direction.
Come on people you are now acting like the leadership and making people go in different directions and not accomplish anything!
I must say that I admire our President for being totally colour blind. During his speech he told the gathered throng of powerful business people that his aim was for greater economic empowerment for black people – 95% of the people present cheered at this. The other 5% were white.
The port is actually quite pretty and gives one a sense that it is well organised and could contribute mightily to the economy of Port Elizabeth – just a pity that we had have the politicians along for the opening.