To those officials who lament that the only time that the media give free exposure to any music festival is; “when the festival fails” it is with respect that history will demonstrate the absymal record that so called ‘music promoters’ have in this metro.
The citizens of this metro have witnessed failure after failure as hard earned ratepayer money is poured into the coffers of politically connected but completely inept ‘music promoters’ who have no clue of how to box their way out of a wet paper bag let alone organise a concert.
Time after time we have witnessed how millions of rate and tax-payer money is showered over a ‘long haired’, ‘fast talking’, ‘smooth looking’, ‘politically connected hippies’ only for the promised local and international artists to fail to appear as promised.
Lets get a few things straight here:
- These promoters do not do what they do for free or in eternal gratitude for freedom, ubuntu or whatever platitudes they spout – they do it to gather as much money to their pockets in as little time as possible.
- If they are looking for a handout from local, provincial or national government to stage their concerts then they are NOT expecting excellence and NOR are they expecting to make money.
- Quite frankly when these ‘wanna be business persons’ approach government then one can safely say that they have been turned down by hard nosed business persons already and these ‘music promoters’ are now looking to compromise hard working officials by promising them a backhander out of rate and tax-payer money advanced.
The simple litmus test should be as follows:
“If you want to promote a concert then prove that you have a good track record and grasp of how much money you project making BEFORE asking for a handout.”
Government should reward excellence by basing the handing out of chunks of rate and tax-payer money on a specific community based outcome AFTER the conclusion of the concert.
Our FAILED Concert Hall of Shame:
- July 2015 – Kenny Lattimore pulls out of the Nelson Mandela Bay Cultural Festival saying; “The organisers of the event have failed to secure travel and business arrangements for me and my band.”
- In June 2012, the planned MBay Megafest at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium with international artists Ludacris, Ne-Yo, Protoje and Shaggy never took place. Andrea Wessels and her children Rukshane and Rukaard’s company, Zeranza SA, were meant to host the concert.
- In November 2009 the The Bay Summer Concert that took place at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium was another major embarrassment for Port Elizabeth, 2009. Busta Rhymes, the headline act, arrived at the Stadium hours late and told the remaining concert-goers that he would perform at the La Dee Da’s club in Salsoneville in PE’s Northern areas.
- The Nelson Mandela Bay International Music Festival (NMBIMF) planned by Dompas MD, Wandile Yani for December 18 to 20, 2009 was cancelled at the last minute due to lack of funds. Major artists like Keri Hilson, American RB artist and the legendary Hugh Masakela would have performed.
- The May 2011 The Nelson Mandela Bay International Music Festival was held only once and never returned.
Just how many other failed small concerts have had money poured into them?
The following two tabs change content below.