Cape Town – Heads were not rolling yet in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro, as some in the newly DA-controlled municipality had feared.
“The first few days in office have been productive as the new executive mayor begins to set in motion the plan to turn Nelson Mandela Bay around,” said new Mayor Athol Trollip’s spokesperson Kristoff Adelbert.
Trollip’s induction took place on Thursday after the DA and other parties voted him in.
All eyes were on what he would do about security head Linda Mti, whose appointment the DA was vehemently opposed to.
But, according to the metro’s spokesperson Kupido Baron, it was business as usual for Mti.
“He is here at work,” said Baron.
The DA was opposed to former mayor Danny Jordaan appointing Mti to the position. The party claimed his record relating to drunk driving and the fact that the Hawks were investigating him for alleged tender corruption, should have precluded him from the position.
This was related to his time as correctional services commissioner.
The metro said it was lucky to have bagged a person of Mti’s calibre, given his experience as security director for the 2010 Soccer World Cup, and considered his past history just that – in the past.
Mti had since sent a lawyer’s letter to Trollip warning him to stop making insulting remarks, or face court action.
“We are, in the circumstances, instructed to demand from you … that you provide us with your written undertaking that you will cease and desist from making disparaging remarks regarding our client,” read one of two letters sent from James Ndebele, of Ndebele Attorneys.
“Should you fail to comply with the above… our client will not hesitate to take the appropriate legal action against you.”
Trollip pledged in his first mayoral speech last week that an employee audit would be conducted to ensure people were qualified for the jobs they held in the metro.