Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa has called for more action and less talk in the fight against crime.
Although the national crime statistics for the 2011/2012 financial year he released on Thursday showed a decrease in most crime categories, Mthethwa said there were still areas of concerns and more hard work to be done.
“There will always be disappointment in the fight against crime as long as you have crime in the country, as long as from a perception point of view people don’t feel safe,” he said.
Fighting crime was a work in progress, the minister pointed out. “This is a road that is always under construction. There will never be a situation…where we will say we have arrived in terms on fighting crime so it’s an on-going struggle,” Mthethwa said.
But progress had been made, the minister acknowledged. This was evident in the decline in murder, contact crimes, organised crime, ATM bombing and other categories of crime.
“We are not there yet, but with the participation of all sectors, we are turning the tide against crime. We must win the battle against crime, in whatever form it manifests itself,” Mthethwa said.
The minister said he wanted more success, particularly with sexual offences and rapes, which were worryingly high despite a 3.7% and 1.9% decrease, respectively.
These crimes affected the most vulnerable – women and children – and more effort needed to be made to stamp them out, he stressed. – SAnews.gov.za