Dozens of families staying on the premises of abandoned Lwandlekazi High School in New Brighton, Port Elizabeth, have been ordered to demolish the structures they have been living in and use the materials to rebuild temporary shacks at municipal sites designated for RDP houses.
In December 2001, after a fire gutted their homes, six families moved on to the site. They were followed by another 21 families.
In December 2019, they were told they would be relocated in January 2020 to Block 40 and Motherwell NU30.
Now, under mounting pressure from neighbouring Jarvis Gqamlana Primary School, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality said the families had been told to demolish and relocate.
Paul Mbewane, chairperson of the Red Location Development Committee, said that on Tuesday night at a stakeholders’ meeting at Hoza Community Hall it was resolved that those families who do not have materials should break down the classrooms they are occupying and erect shacks with the material.
“We took this approach because last year we relocated ten people from the school to NU30 but those classes were occupied again.”
“We are under pressure. The school needs its playground. Then we will also look for municipal temporary houses (Wendy houses). Transport will be provided. But no date has been set as to when the relocation will start, as we still have to go back to those residents.”
One of the fire victims, Mbuzeli Bawana, a father of five, said, “I can leave this school anytime if I can get material or a municipal temporary house. But the