The DA has today submitted a motion of no confidence in Executive Mayor, Zanoxolo Wayile, for consideration at the Council meeting, which is scheduled for 6 December 2012.
As a result of his poor political leadership and ongoing mismanagement, service delivery in this metro has now reached an all-time low due to the following:
Service delivery protests are now almost a weekly occurrence and it is very clear that the mayor is unable to honour his election promises;
- He has failed to eradicate the bucket system;
- The housing backlog stands at 92 000;
- There is no transparent housing waiting list;
- Illegal dumping is on the increase;
- There is no refuse collection services in most of the northern areas;
- Theft of electricity is on the increase;
- Infrastructure maintenance backlogs are on an increase with roads, water and electricity in danger of collapsing;
- Bucket toilets are not collected on a regular basis; and
- Grass mowing is restricted and public toilets are not cleaned.
All directorates are complaining that their budgets are hopelessly inadequate which is making it very difficult for them to deliver services.
However, the mayor has failed to appoint a permanent municipal manager since July 2009 and he is not making any meaningful progress with the appointment of permanent executive directors.
He seeks to reduce the current underfunded operating budget by R10m to fund AFCON, when basic services cannot be sustained because of budget constraints.
The mayor has failed this metro and its people and it is now very clear that we can no longer tolerate his lack of understanding and his inability to lead this council.
It is painfully clear that the Acting Municipal Manager, Mr Themba Hani and his entire section 154 team are not succeeding in stabilising this administration and if we do not take decisive action now, we will be put under administration.
We therefore have no option but to remove the Executive Mayor, Zanoxolo Wayile from office before we are put under administration.
Cllr Leon De Villiers
Leader of the Official Oppositio
Editor’s Notes: I will say it again – I like the Mayor and honestly believe that if the short leash (much shorter than a giraffe’s neck!) that he was placed on by his masters at Standard House (Florence Matomela House) was removed he would perform. Sorry to say it Zanoxolo but maybe now is the time to cross the floor and make history.
Article source: http://mype.co.za/new/2012/11/motion-of-no-confidence-in-mayor/