I am frequently approached by residents asking what they may or may not be permitted to drop off in respect of household and other waste.
Following a recent Waste Management Forum meeting on 19 March 2012, the following document emerged and gives very clear guidelines.
Please remember that for Ward 2, the nearest metro transfer station/TIP is situated along Strandfontein Rd between Strandfontein Rd and the Forest Hill Cemetery. Should you wish to dispose of items other than what is allowed at the transfer station, then the nearest landfill site remains the Arlington Waste Facility on Victoria Drive in Walmer.
Should you have any additional queries, please feel free to utilise the various contact details contained below.
WASTE DISPOSAL GUIDELINES
Discarding, placing or leaving waste on any land or road other than a disposal site approved by the Municipality is AN OFFENCE. (A fine of up to R2000 can be imposed for illegal dumping.)
Waste may only be disposed of at one of the licensed landfill sites or approved municipal drop-off centres/transfer stations.
Please contact the Waste Management Depot closest to you for a list of the approved landfill sites or drop-off centres or to report illegal dumping:
- Harrower Road (PE City Area) – 041 506 2018
- Gail Road (Northern Areas) – 041 452 2006
- Struanway (Ibhayi) – 041 453 0089
- Addo Road (Motherwell/Bluewater Bay) – 041 506 2521
- Cuyler Street (Uitenhage/Despatch) – 041 994 1137
- WAR ROOM on Service Delivery – 0800 20 50 50
- Environmental Helpdesk – 041 506 5412
Operating hours of drop-off centres – 7 days per week
- Port Elizabeth area: 7h30 to 17h30
- Uitenhage area: 9h00 to 17h30
Accepted at drop-off centres:
- A maximum of a one-ton bakkie-load per day
- Normal garden refuse only
- Household junk (e.g. stoves, prams, etc.)
Not accepted at drop-off centres:
- Loads bigger than a one-ton bakkie per day
- Branches longer than two metres and tree stumps
- Building rubble, sand and rocks
- Kitchen waste, i.e. food scraps
- Waste generated by garden services
- Commercial/Trade/Business waste
- Anything causing a bad smell, i.e. household waste
Loads or items NOT accepted at these sites MUST be disposed of at Arlington or Koedoeskloof Waste Disposal Sites.
Article source: http://mype.co.za/new/2012/03/metro-waste-disposal-guidelines/