The Mandela Bay Development Agency officially took over the reins of Port Elizabeth’s R2-billion stadium this week.
This after the Nelson Mandela Bay municipality cut ties with stadium operator Access Management last month.
The MBDA was assigned the responsibility of running the stadium by the council in October after it decided not to outsource the management of the stadium.
Spokesman Luvuyo Bangazi said yesterday the MBDA had taken over this week.
“Effective January 1, the MBDA officially assumed the role of managing the stadium as an agent of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality,” he said.
“The MBDA has been, and is currently, engaged in a handover process with the previous stadium operator which is expected to be finalised during January.”
The municipality’s contract with Access Management, which has managed the stadium for seven years, ended last month.
The contract was on a month-to-month basis since July.
City manager Johann Mettler said the MBDA had overseen the contract with Access since July and would not have a problem settling in.