Uitenhage based Audi South Africa announced today the signing of talented and rising sports sensation, Siya Kolisi, as an Audi A3 ambassador. Kolisi joins 5FM’s ambassador Poppy Ntshongwana.
The 22 year old loose forward, currently contracted to the DHL Stormers, will drive the recently launched Audi A3 Sportback, making him the latest in Audi’s talented and successful list of ambassadors, including Olympic Gold Medallist Cameron van der Burgh, singer-songwriter Lira, and radio DJ Anele Mdoda.
At the start of 2012 not many people would have known who Siya Kolisi was. However just fifty minutes into the 2012 Vodacom Super Rugby season, the rugby world sat up and took notice. Given his break, due to injury to captain Schalk Burger, Siya grabbed the opportunity and his performances for the DHL Stormers saw him selected for both Springbok training camps this year. The first Springbok Test cap is not too far away for this industrious loose forward.
Uncapped and yet to play in the green and gold, Kolisi has been included in the 34-man Springbok squad for the Incoming Series involving Italy, Samoa and Scotland later this month.
Incoming Series Tour June Fixtures:
- 8 June: South Africa v Italy at Growthpoint Kings Park, Durban 17:15
- 15 June: South Africa v Scotland at Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit 17:15
- 22 June: South Africa v Italy/Scotland/Samoa at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
According to Stormers forwards coach Matthew Proudfoot, “His determination to succeed is one of his best traits and he has proved that he can rise to a challenge. He has the technical ability to do well at national level and I believe he is ready to rise to the occasion”.
Hailing from humble beginnings in Port Elizabeth, Kolisi’s talent was spotted early with him being offered a full rugby scholarship to attend Grey High School Port Elizabeth after impressing in a tournament in Mossel Bay while playing for the Eastern Province u/12B team. The young Kolisi could only speak Xhosa in a school that only spoke English. Undeterred, Siya rose to challenge in the classroom and on the sports field – earning himself a position in all the major provincial and national teams, including:
- South Africa Rugby Championship 2012
- Western Province Currie Cup 2012
- Stormers Super Rugby 2011/12/13
- Western Province U21 Competition 2011
- South Africa IRB Junior World Championships 2011
- UCT Varsity Cup 2011
- Western Province Vodacom Cup 2011
- Western Province U19 Competition 2010
- Western Province U21 Competition 2010
- South Africa IRB Junior World Championships 2010
- South Africa SA Schools 2009
- South Africa SA U18 High Performance 2009
- Eastern Province U18 Craven Week 2008/9
- Eastern Province U19 Competition 2008
- South Africa SA Schools 2008
- U18 Elite squad Elite squad 2008
- Eastern Province U16 Grant Khomo Week 2007
“Siya Kolisi perfectly represents the Audi brand value of ‘Sporty’ and we are very excited to partner with one of South African rugby’s most talented young players”, added Ryan Searle Head of Audi South Africa.