Port Elizabeth‘s unique Ocean Racing Series just completed it’s 10th season in the bay and at their final prize giving function held at News Cafe immediately after the weekend’s round 10 they honoured 7 participants that have been with the Series since it’s first race in January 2006.
Mary-Anne Stott, Maria Stott, Colin McCall, Brenton Blignaut, Elsa Craig, Conal Turner and Paddy Cloete were honoured for their 10-year participation achievement, receiving a branded clothing item and a permanent race number. The aQuellé Ocean Racing Series takes place throughout summer with race days on mostly alternate Sunday mornings for families keen on taking part in open water swimmimg, running and walking.
“We can’t believe that the Series is already 10 years old and to celebrate this with family and friends who have been with us since that very first race day on the 13th January 2006 is a very special experience,” said Series founder Mike Zoetmulder of Zsports Events NPC. “The growth and popularity of the Series has exceeded expectations and we are happy that it’s become Africa’s largest family beach event.”
Over 130 prizes were presented at the final prize giving ceremony with the top 3 overall finishers in each of the 5 divisions and numerous age categories being singled out and presented with prizes from naming sponsor aQuellé and swimwear sponsor Speedo. As has become tradition of the Ocean Racing Series, numerous lucky draw prizes accommpany each race day and Sunday was no expection, this time boosted by the inclusion of two Speedo prizes valued at R3,000 each.
One of the winners of the Speedo wetsuit voucher was 69 year old Elsa Craig who has been with the Series since the start. “Thanks so much to Zsports and Mike for organising this amazing event for young and old and for the wonderful prizes I received at this 10th seasons prize giving.” Said Craig after the prize giving, “My current wetsuit is near its end and I was going to stop swimming when it packed up but now this has changed my mind – a new wetsuit and my permanent number. It surely was my lucky day and I hope I will be blessed with good health so I can do the next 10 seasons! If they are prepared to let me finish my races when I am 80, I will give it a go!”
The overall champions of the Series were announced on Sunday and these included Juan Slabbert Milé Vermaak (5km Walk), Dylan Finlay Megan Snyman (5km Run), Wayne Jones Brigitte Muller (1km Swim), Daniel Jones Kirsten Marriott (3km Swim). In the popular Kids 1km Beach race, overall honours went to Aiden Joubert Tayla Wilson (6/u), Jason Archibald Abbie Mitchell (8/u), Matthew Loon Zanri Black (10/u), Tiaan Black Kayla Ferreira (12/u). A full listing of overall standings is available on the Series website.
On average the Ocean Racing Series, which is the only event of it’s kind in Africa, attracts around 4,000 entrants a season and runs from early October through to the end of March or early April each summer, mostly on alternate Sunday mornings. National bottled water manufacturer aQuellé have secured the naming rights to the Series for season’s 10 and 11 and are already looking forward to the 11th Season which will kick off on Sunday 11th October 2015. See www.oceanracingseries.com
aQuellé Ocean Racing Series – Season 10 Overall Results
1km Ocean Swim
- Men: 1 Wayne Jones; 2 Joshua Bellairs; 3 Pj Duffy
- Ladies: 1 Brigitte Muller; 2 Amy Mardon; 3 Antonella Saporta
3km Ocean Swim
- Men: 1 Daniel Jones; 2 Bradley Reen; 3 Jason Jones
- Ladies: 1 Kirsten Marriott; 2 Rebecca Newman; 3 Liza Kingston
5km Fun Run
- Men: 1 Dylan Finlay; 2 Sibusiso Macamba; 3 Siyanda Jacobs
- Ladies: 1 Megan Snyman; 2 Samantha Perelson; 3 Annemieke Mock
5km Fun Walk
- Men: 1 Juan Slabbert; 2 Colin Korkie; 3 Johan Ferreira
- Ladies: 1 Mile Vermaak; 2 Emily Stemmett; 3 Michelle Gee
Kids 1km Beach Walk
6 and under
- Boys: 1 Aiden Joubert, 2 Max Owen, 3 Ivan Strauss
- Girls: 1 Tayla Wilson, 2 Kiera Lynn Stemmett, 3 Rachel Woods
7 to 8 years
- Boys: 1 Jayson Archibald, 2 Josh Loon, 3 Connor Brislin
- Girls: 1 Abbie Mitchell, Amber Joubert, Megan Owen
9 to 10 years
- Boys: 1 Matthew Loon, 2 Mats Mock, 3 Connor Roff
- Girls: 1 Zanri Black, 2 Rebecca Mardon, 3 Jessica Orrey
11 to 12 Years
- Boys: 1 Tiaan Black, 2 Aidan Finlay, 3 Bradley Bosman
- Girls: 1 Kayla Ferreira, 2 Tara Sacke, 3 Bella Archibald
The following two tabs change content below.