Steve Komphela @ Backpagepix
Maritzburg United begin pre-season training on Wednesday with uncertainty continuing to hover over the club amid speculation on the future of the coach and also where they will play their football in the new season.
Steve Komphela remains at the helm after being strongly linked with National First Division (NFD) champions Chippa United in recent weeks. However, any possibility of him leaving for the Chilli Boys has now ended after they appointed Kosta Papic last week.
Still, though, his current employers need to sit down with the former Free State Stars coach to make 100 per cent certain he wants to stay and it is an item that tops the agenda for club chairman Farook Kadodia.
“Steve is still the coach,” he told PSL.co.za. “He should be starting work tomorrow because that’s when the team begins pre-season training.
“Every day there’s new speculation. I had calls this morning where people were telling me that he’s tipped for a role within the Bafana Bafana set-up. Whether it’s true or not, I don’t know. So the speculation will continue until we sit down with him. “
Kadodia admits that the uncertainty over the coach has made planning difficult for the season. United would have been hoping for a far smoother off-season having battled against Absa Premiership relegation for a fair chunk of the last term, which they eventually ended 10th.
“There has been uncertainty for us, the cause being that a team has tried to tap him and for whatever reason, that has now fallen away,” Kadodia explained. “But today in football you should know that whether it’s a player or whether it’s a coach, if the bucks are thrown in front of him, there’s no loyalty.
“These are things that we have to deal with. We’ve been sitting back and had to wait for the dust to settle. That’s why I say we will hopefully sit down in the coming days and look at the way forward.”
In the midst of the Komphela problem, United have also been mulling over a relocation offer from the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, who are hoping to lure them to the Eastern Cape capital, Port Elizabeth.
An offer in the region of R36-million over three years has reportedly been tabled.
Chippa had also been given the chance to make the switch from Cape Town, but eventually declined.
Kadodia admitted that it was something he hoped to discuss with his board over the coming days.
“We hope to make a final decision on PE by the end of the week,” he added.
Article source: http://psl.co.za/article.asp?id=2491714