Southern Kings boss Cheeky Watson dismissed speculation that they will seek ‘legal recourse’ or head back to the boardroom after losing their Super Rugby status.
Watson, who on Monday congratulated the Lions on reclaiming their Super Rugby status, said they accepted the outcome of the two-match promotion-relegation series – which the Lions won 44-42 on aggregate, despite losing 18-23 to the Kings in Johannesburg at the weekend.
Watson dismissed media speculation that the Kings would be seeking legal recourse.
“This is not true,” Watson said in a statement.
“When we entered into the Super Rugby tournament we knew what the rules of the game were and we accepted that should we be at the bottom of the log, we would be playing promotion relegation for inclusion next year.
“We accept the outcome of the play-offs.”
In connection with speculation over player movements, Watson said this was still at a sensitive stage – as contracts were still being looked at and more information would be released in due course.
It has been reported that up to 10 Kings players are likely to depart Port Elizabeth.
Fullback SP Marais became the first to formally reveal his intentions, with the Sharks listing him among their list of players for the upcoming Currie Cup season.
Last week it was reported that four players – Springboks Waylon Murray and Bandise Maku, along with stars Jacques Engelbrecht and David Bulbring – will join the Bulls.
Other players reportedly on the departure list are tighthead prop Kevin Buys (Brive in
Read More Here: http://sport.iafrica.com/news/874119.html