Work on the right hand lane of Grahamstown Road is almost complete. Unfortunately we have experienced excessive rain and have lost 4 days of production in the process. An extra day was also lost due to an Asphalt Plant breakdown.
We expect that traffic will change over onto this new surface on Monday (5 May).
The next portion of Grahamstown Road is the Centre lane. This means that we will partially close the intersection of TR63 and Grahamstown. The expected duration of this closure is 3 Days, weather and other factors permitting! This road closure will take place starting on a Friday and we will work through the weekend.
Some traffic disruption will be experienced and commuters will be required to detour via Swartkops village:
- Traffic travelling from Port Elizabeth towards Swartkops will turn left at the traffic lights and proceed to the alternate entrance near the Saltpans, where they will turn left.
- Traffic from Uitenhage will turn right into Swartkops at the Saltpan entrance.
- Traffic from Motherwell will first turn right towards TR63, then left towards Uitenhage and left again towards Swartkops.
- Traffic from Zwide will turn left towards TR63, then left towards Uitenhage and left again towards Swartkops.
- Traffic leaving Swartkops towards Port Elizabeth must proceed straight on, without stopping at the lights (We will endeavour to turn them off for the day, or flash amber).
- Traffic leaving Swartkops for Uitenhage must exit via the entrance adjacent to the Post Office.
- Any traffic avoiding the temporary barricades will have to effect a U-turn.
Road signs will be erected in good time.
Another update will follow informing you of “When” it will happen!
Your comments are welcome.
John Lochhead, NDT
AECOM Engineer’s Representative, Africa
The following two tabs change content below.