Following the decision to revert back to the concept of dedicated bus lanes for exclusive use of IPTS (Integrated Public Transport System) buses as well as amended traffic planning designs, the following modifications will be implemented during the next few weeks after commencing on Monday 13 August 2012.
- Taxi stops railings in the bus lanes to be removed thus providing additional space for mixed traffic use and/or additional parking where such can be accommodated.
- Barrier kerbs to be removed along sections of bus lane and replaced with general traffic limitation rumble blocks to allow for emergency usage of the lanes and improved vehicular turning movements at intersections.
- General Bus Taxis’ painted stops to be provided at commuter points along the left hand kerb outside the bus lane.
- Intersection design improvements to include inter-alia modified alignment, additional signage, adjusted traffic signal phasing, backing boards/signage to elevated traffic signal heads, etc.
- Existing signage for bus lanes to be removed for utilization on other IPTS projects. New bus lane demarcation signage to be installed
- Improvements to traffic flow by amending traffic flow directions along certain sides streets.
- Improvements to stormwater drainage in bus lanes.
Furthermore, a general report on existing infrastructure improvements and a traffic study were concluded for the IPTS triangle which incorporates Kempston Rd, Harrower Rd, Commercial Rd and Govan Mbeki Ave. The traffic study utilized traffic data obtained both prior to and post construction of the bus lanes and this data was used in the transportation planning model. Based on the recommendations contained in the reports, further infrastructure improvements shall be implemented in order to minimize traffic congestion and improve traffic flow patterns.