Ahead of the first promotion relegation game between the Southern Kings and Lions on Friday 26 July just stop and ponder a bit.
The stakes in these two games are high and a loss by the Southern Kings could have one or more of the following consequences:
- The loss of competent coaching staff – I am trying to picture Alan Solomons in a kilt and with each passing day the picture becomes clearer.
- The loss of star and competent players – which of the current Super Rugby players will be happy to settle for obscurity in the EP Kings team?
- The loss of top flight super rugby games at the NMB Stadium until 2016
- The loss of money flowing into our local economy through tourism, ticket sales etc.
- The loss of exposure to locals and internationals via all media channels
- The loss of revenue to our stadium
- The real fear of a bankrupt rugby union
A lot rides on the shoulders of the Southern Kings these next two weeks. All we can do is pray that they have prepared adequately, that they don’t make mistakes, that they capitalise on Lions mistakes and that they play as a united disciplined team with the weight of support of millions of rugby fans to carry them to victory.
These businesses support MyPE:
MyPE supports PE business:
Article source: http://mype.co.za/new/2013/07/if-the-kings-lose-we-lose/