Today in Despatch, Daleview and Missionvale, I have seen the desperation of our people who live in the wake of this Metro’s broken promises.
It saddens me to see abandoned housing and sanitation projects, neglected by the Metro, incomplete and inhabitable. Housing and sanitation are basic human rights and are the cornerstones of dignity, independence and freedom for the people of our Metro.
Political interference, irregular awarding of tenders to unqualified contractors, poor planning and despicable project management by this ANC government have meant that hundreds of toilet units in Daleview were built long before RDP units, and are now derelict, and many homes in Missionvale are now without reticulated sewerage.
The Metro’s plan is to build only 1293 RDP units and to rectify just 642 broken RDP units which mean that the Metro is only delivering to around 3% of those on the waiting list. This is an absolute disgrace and must be turned around – this can only happen through a government that cares and plans ahead.
The municipality is no longer trusted by national government, characterised by the National Department of Human Settlements’ intervention earlier this year in housing, to take back control of housing roll out.
The DA has the plan and the desire to change the state of housing in Nelson Mandela Bay.
When in government, the DA will implement a 5-point turnaround and prevention plan, as follows:
- Action forensic audits on all supply chain management and prosecute any official found guilty of side-stepping due process.
- Implement contractor and SMME screening to guarantee qualifications, capabilities and competence.
- Zero-tolerance on political interference.
- Implement legislation around preventing government officials from doing tender work with government.
- Set out a standard operating procedure to ensure seamless cohesion and coordination between all spheres of government, especially in the departments of human settlements, water and sanitation.
The DA is set on winning Nelson Mandela Bay at next year’s elections to deliver housing, sanitation, good governance, proper planning and so that foresight be the foundation on which this Metro is run.
The following two tabs change content below.