Most Port Elizabeth residents can expect running water by this afternoon. One of two pipes that burst last week causing water cuts has been repaired. Acting director of infrastructure and engineering in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Metro, Barry Martin says they expect reservoirs to fill up by today.
Engineers continue to work on the other damaged pipe. Martin has asked residents to continue to use water sparingly.
“At this point in time, we have made progress – better than what we expected. The position that we are finding ourselves in now is what we were expecting to be in on Monday morning. The contractor and the welding company have worked rapidly. Just to say at this point in time, the pipeline is being charged at the moment, the water has reached Sea View and if everything goes well by tomorrow lunch time, we will be in a much better position than we have been since Friday evening,” says Martin.
On Friday, businesses in Port Elizabeth’s biggest shopping centre, Greenacres, had to close their doors after their taps ran dry. Water shortages have hamstrung the city after two main supply water pipes burst. Municipal officials said they are re-routing water to areas without any water. Water tankers have been provided to supply hospitals and an operational centre has been set up to manage water supply. Repairs are expected to take at least five days. Consumers have been urged to use water sparingly.