ANELISA Gunqisa looks set to end the dearth of male boxing champions in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro, says his trainer, Caiphus Ntente.
Gunqisa will face Shaun Ness for the vacant SA welterweight title at Nangoza Jebe Hall (formerly the Centenary Hall) in Port Elizabeth on Friday night.
“This fight belongs to us and I have no doubt about that,” Ntente said.
Ness last fought in May when he knocked out Prince Dlomo in three rounds in Soweto.
The last time Nelson Mandela Bay Metro produced a male champion was in 2003 when Mbulelo Nyanda from Uitenhage won the South African junior flyweight belt from Phathutshedzo Nemukongwe in Durban. Nyanda lost that belt four months later.
Nomampondomise Xotyeni, the junior lightweight champion, is the only woman champion from that region.
Ntente will face Colin Nathan, who was in the corner at Emperors Palace on April 13 when Warren Joubert outpointed Lungisa Jikani for the vacant South African junior welterweight title.
Gunqisa last fought in June last year when he beat Marcel Botha, son of former IBF World Heavyweight champion Francois Botha.
Promoter Sibongile Kebe said: “We are excited to bring this fight here. It is about time that our boxers enjoy home ground advantage. It is also great for us as a promotion company to be involved in a bout of this magnitude.”
Nathan said they did not expect “an easy ride” in the co-challenger’s backyard. “We are prepared for a hard fight, but we are looking for a stoppage.”