I’d like to bring to your and your readers attention a vehicle scam that is on the go by a certain car sales business in Port Elizabeth that is selling cars fraudulently and pocketing the money.
I’ll explain how it works:
- John wants to sell his car.
- He takes it to Mr X’s car lot to sell on his behalf.
- Mr X sells the car with full documentation to Solly, but doesn’t inform John that the car is sold and pockets the money.
- A few days down the line, John goes to Mr X and sees his car gone.
- John goes the whole route of going to the police to open a case etc.
- The police question Mr X and discover the car has been sold.
- The police trace the car via traffic records and confiscate the vehicle that was ‘legally’ bought and paid for, yet Mr X and his partner are not immediately arrested!
Solly now loses his money and the car. He must now seek legal advice and pay more money for something he was not party to.
Please make sure you have thoroughly checked all documentation first before buying anything from a 3rd party seller.
(All names have been changed to protect the identity of persons while this case is under investigation.)
Eye on Community
Article source: http://mype.co.za/new/2012/03/fraudulent-car-sales/