Tshipi chief executive Finn Behnken said that this was the first railing and a significant milestone for the new mine‚
“It’s the first railing of many‚ many more to come over the expected life of mine,” he said.
“Our new mine is expected to provide permanent employment to at least 500 South Africans‚ be in operation for many decades and provide foreign exchange and economic benefits to the economy.
“Furthermore‚ the railing of first production has proved Transnet’s commitment to assisting new businesses in South Africa,” he added.
Mining at Tshipi Borwa started eleven months ago and the fully-loaded train left the newly built railway siding on Sunday (18 November).
It contained 6‚400t of manganese loaded in 104 wagons. The train arrived in Port Elizabeth and was offloaded on Tuesday (20 November).
Last month Transnet successfully ran a 2.4km test train, with 208 wagons, on the line using Tshipi’s newly constructed and dedicated rail siding with wagons carrying manganese from a neighbouring mine.
The event‚ part of Transnet testing the line for longer more efficient trains in order to expand export capacity‚ went off without any incident.
Tshipi é Ntle Manganese Mining is a joint venture between Ntsimbintle and OM Holdings which own 50.1% of the venture and Australian Listed Jupiter Mines Limited‚ which owns the remaining 49.9%.
Article source: http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/608/85900.html